Subject: [Syslog] Working Group Last Call: syslog-mib document

From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:44:21 -0400

Hi,

This message officially starts the Syslog Working Group Last Call for
the following document: 

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-device-mib-09.tx
t

The Working Group Last Call for this document will end September 25.

To help get these document reviewed throughly, we are seeking
volunteers to review the documents for the following special reviews:
	1) Spelling and grammar,
	2) boilerplates and reference review, 
	3) security review

The chairs want to see a minimum number of content reviews before we
submit the documents to the IESG. If you review the document and it
looks fine, please post a statement that you have reviewed and found
the document acceptable. Obviously, if it does not look acceptable
please identify your objections, preferably with suggested text that
would make it acceptable.

Thanks,
David Harrington
[email-masked] 
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
co-chair, Syslog WG 

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

---

From: "tom.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:05:07 +0200

I have looked at this I-D and appreciate the increased explanation at the
beginning.  It leaves me clearer, but still thinking that this document steers a
different course to the other syslog ones, in its focus on a group of syslog
entities.  It's not that there cannot be more than one syslog entity running in
a given host, just that bundling them together into a table seems an artificial
complication; other syslog MIB modules I see are scalar in approach.

Tom Petch

---

From: "Glenn M. Keeni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:57:48 +0900

Tom,
    Your observation is correct. I guess that other MIBs deal with
entities which are essentially singleton in the context of a host.
An SNMP agent on the host services the information rquired to
monitor "the" entity.
    Some entities may not be singleton - syslog is one of them. The
syslog MIB nicely takes care of this case. It can service multiple
syslog daemons. For example, one can ask
     - how many syslog messages were received by the experimental
       syslogd that I am running on UDP port 10512?
     - how many syslog messages were received by the standard
       syslogd that I am running on TCP port 512 ?
    etc.

    I think that this is a very nice feature. Am I missing something?

Glenn