Subject: [Syslog] draft-ietf-syslog-sign-19.txt

From: "Alexander Clemm \(alex\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:32:35 -0700

Hello,

I have just posted a new revision of draft-ietf-syslog-sign-19.txt,
which should be posted shortly, taking into account the comments that I
have received.  

The following is a summary of the updates that were made:  

* Section 3: Added requirement for syslog message length of 2048 octets
to be supported.  It does not make sense to keep this one optional, as
any truncation that were to occur will render the mechanism that is
specified useless.  

* Section 4: 
- Clarified the distinction between the Signature Block and the message
that carries the Signature Block.  Made this distinction clearer by
calling out a separate subsection (4.1) that deals specifically with the
message.  
- Made clear distinction of how to use syslog-sign in conjunction with
syslog protocol, as well as with "traditional" syslog.  
- For use with syslog-protocol, I added recommendations for how to
populate the APP-NAME and MSGID fields, recommending "syslog" as
APP-NAME and "sig" as MSG-ID.   
- Likewise, added recommendation for PRI value to use.  Recommended to
use 110 (facility 13, severity 6).   
- Reboot Session ID: Clarified that 0 value is to be used only when
reboot session ID cannot be persisted across reboots, otherwise values
between 1 and 9999999999 are to be used.
- Made editorial clarifications to the explanations surrounding
Signature Group and Signature Priority.  Added recommendation to use a
single SPRI value for messages with SG 0, and to use the PRI value of
the carrying syslog message as that SPRI (i.e., 110).   
- Made clarifications that hashes are to be sequenced, also clarified
what is precisely subjected to the hash.  

* Section 5:
- Made editorial alignments to align chapter structure and headings with
those of Section 4
- Analogous updates as for section 4: Clarified the distinction between
the Certificate Block and the message that carries the Certificate
Block.  Made this distinction clearer by calling out a separate
subsection that deals specifically with the message.  Made clear
distinction of how to use syslog-sign in conjunction with syslog
protocol, as well as with "traditional" syslog.  For use with
syslog-protocol, I added recommendations for how to populate the
APP-NAME and MSGID fields, recommending "syslog" as APP-NAME and "cert"
as MSG-ID.   
- Likewise, added recommendation for PRI value to use.  Recommended to
use 110 (facility 13, severity 6).    

* Section 9: 
- removed "Cookie" discussion
- added request to add structured data to the associated registry (ssign
and ssign-cert SD-IDs, with the corresponding PARAM-NAMEs)
- added request to register the APP-NAME and MSGIDs introduced above.
(A registry needs to be introduced for those, currently not suggested in
syslog-protocol, need working group chairs to advise.)    

Working group, please comment, example on the choice of PRI and
APP-NAME.   
Best regards
--- Alex

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog