Subject: [Syslog] Syslog Msg to SNMP Notification Conversion

From: "Rohit M (rrohit)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:52:30 +0530

Hi, 
 
  SYSLOG MIB doesn't define a Notification which can send syslog message
  as SNMP Notification. I tend to think we do need to define a SNMP 
  Notification to represent syslog messages and its various fields. 
 
  Please let me know your opinion about the same or if the 
  syslog group has already discussed this in the past.
 
Thanks
Rohit
_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 12:42:46 +0200

>   syslog group has already discussed this in the past.

This was discussed in the last ops-area meeting. My suggestion is to
do this work as an extension of the SYSLOG MIB so that we can move
forward in scoped pieces. I can see that implementations might support
only the existing SYSLOG MIB or only SYSLOG to SNMP mappings or both
or none. So having some modularity might be a good thing.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

---

From: "Rohit M (rrohit)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:19:57 +0530

Hi Jeurgen, 

  Thanks for your response.
  
  I am thinking in terms of defining a SYSLOG-NOTIF-MIB which
  will define Syslog Notification (which will represent a
  syslog message) and also other details about the varbinds
  for the same. Just wanted to check with the group before
  we really start working on this.

Thanks
Rohit

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 4:13 PM
To: Rohit M (rrohit)
Cc: [email-masked]; Chris Lonvick (clonvick); [email-masked];
[email-masked]; Sudhir Vitta (svitta); Anirban Karmakar (akarmaka)
Subject: Re: [Syslog] Syslog Msg to SNMP Notification Conversion

>   syslog group has already discussed this in the past.

This was discussed in the last ops-area meeting. My suggestion is to do
this work as an extension of the SYSLOG MIB so that we can move forward
in scoped pieces. I can see that implementations might support only the
existing SYSLOG MIB or only SYSLOG to SNMP mappings or both or none. So
having some modularity might be a good thing.

/js

---

From: "Rainer Gerhards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 12:57:48 +0200

Hi Rohit,

this was discussed, but (as usual in the syslog-wg) got bogged down.
Having such a mib would definitely useful, much more than the counters.
We've resorted to defining our own [1]. Previously, I think, we used
Cisco's so it looks like you are going to try get it some more up to the
standards?

Rainer

[1] rsyslog (and other rsyslog products) emit snmp traps based on syslog
messages. You can find it down in the description of the trap sender:
http://www.rsyslog.com/doc-omsnmp.html

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Rohit M (rrohit)
> Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 12:50 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: Sudhir Vitta (svitta); [email-masked]; Anirban Karmakar
(akarmaka)
> This was discussed in the last ops-area meeting. My suggestion is to
do

---

From: "Glenn M. Keeni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 23:44:23 +0900

Rohit,
     That is right. The SyslogMIB is intended for monitoring Syslog
devices/processes. The Notifications in this MIB are for notifying
changes in the status of syslog device/process. These are not Syslog
messages.
     An SNMP notification for Syslog will be interesting.

     Glenn