Subject: [Syslog] Issue 4 - Service code subregistry

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 08:18:50 -0700 (PDT)

Issue 4 - Service code subregistry

>From Miguel Garcia (GENART review)

- I noticed that IANA picked well their actions. However, it would be
better if, in the second paragraph of Section 8, you specified that the
registry where IANA needs to operate is the "Service Code subregisty of
the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) Parameters registry".

Also, Lars COMMENT:

Section 8., paragraph 1:
>    IANA is requested to assign a registered UDP and DCCP port number for
>    syslog over DTLS.  The same value as for syslog over TLS (6514) is
>    requested.

   Do you also want the same service name (i.e., syslog-tls) for 6514/udp
   and 6514/dccp?

Sean wrote:
vvv
So I thought the service code/name was for this registry:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-codes/service-codes.xhtml

That's the part where we register:

   1398361159 SYLG Syslog Protocol [RFCTBD]

I think you're suggesting that we also need to update the following
registry:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

If that's true, then yes we'd like to update:

OLD:

#               6514/udp   Reserved

NEW:

syslog-tls      6514/udp   Syslog over DTLS
                             [RFC TBD]
syslog-tls      6514/dccp  Syslog over DTLS
                             [RFC TBD]
^^^

Lars responded
vvv
Service *names* and service *codes* are different things.

Service codes are DCCP-only things living at the registry at the URL =
above.

Service names are currently defined in several registries, which will be =
unified by draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports to be into the first column of =
the port numbers table.

The current IANA instructions in the ID only say what port you want for =
syslog-over-DTLS but not which servive *name*.

Lars

> If that's true, then yes we'd like to update:
>
> OLD:
>
>               6514/udp   Reserved
>
> NEW:
>
> syslog-tls      6514/udp   Syslog over DTLS
>                            [RFC TBD]
> syslog-tls      6514/dccp  Syslog over DTLS
>                            [RFC TBD]

That's exactly what needs to be added. Stick it into an RFC Editor Note?
^^^

Sean's proposed resolution:
#5) Add sentence about keyword/service name for the following registry
http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers in Section 8:

OLD:

   IANA is requested to assign a registered UDP and DCCP port number for
   syslog over DTLS.  The same value as for syslog over TLS (6514) is
   requested.

   IANA is requested to assign the service code SYLG to syslog for use
   with DCCP.  The allocation in the service code registry should be as
   follows:

      1398361159 SYLG Syslog Protocol [RFCTBD]

NEW:

   IANA is requested to assign a registered UDP and DCCP port number and
   keyword for syslog over DTLS.  The same values as for syslog over TLS
   (syslog-tls and 6514) are requested.  That is, update the registry as
   follows:

      syslog-tls      6514/udp   Syslog over DTLS
                                 [RFC TBD]
      syslog-tls      6514/dccp  Syslog over DTLS
                                 [RFC TBD]

   IANA is also requested to assign the service code SYLG to syslog for
   use with DCCP.  The allocation in the service code registry should be
   as follows:

      1398361159 SYLG Syslog Protocol [RFCTBD]

ACTION:  Authors to review and incorporate this proposal.