Subject: [Syslog] Issue 13 - DCCP?

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 08:21:21 -0700 (PDT)

Issue 13 - DCCP?

Tom Petch wrote:
vvv
Another issue that came up from the IESG is the relative roles of UDP and 
DCCP as a substrate.  In this context, the discussions on tsvwg which Lars 
is steering about SCTP, DCCP and UDP make interesting reading, with some 
contributors asserting that the only way to get a packet through a complex 
network is with UDP, that SCTP and DCCP are (comparative) failures that 
just don't get recognised widely enough.

Certainly my (limited) view is that UDP is the MUST HAVE, the one that 
will give maximum interoperability so while DCCP is technically superior, 
making it the MUST implement will simply cause this I-D to be ignored by 
most.

I haven't seen any response from Lars on this issue.
^^^

DBH responded:
vvv
Lars provided advice quite a while back. I concur with his advice.

Implementers MUST implement support for DCCP (which should require
minimal changes from support for UDP),
so that if DCCP is available, and the operator chooses to use DCCPP,
the implementation will work with DCCP.

I view this as very similar to our standard security posture - stroing
security is MUST implement, so it is available if the operator wants
it. The operator is not required to use it.
^^^

ACTION:  None - I think this is resolved.

---

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 10:59:41 +0200

I can't make sense of this.  Using DCCP has nothing to do with strong security
so I presume that dbh is really referring to flow control and saying because
flow control may be an issue, everyone MUST implement DCCP (which means that a
whole load of RFC are invalid because they require UDP and do not require
DCCP!).

I see this as issue 8, for which I see the resolution as DCCP is better than UDP
and SHOULD be used when it is available (which I do not expect it to be).  I do
not think that we should go beyond that.  Where for example is MUST implement of
DTLS/DCCP in the latest SNMP transport document,
draft-ietf-isms-dtls-tm with which dbh has been heavily involved?

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Lonvick" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 5:21 PM
Subject: [Syslog] Issue 13 - DCCP?

> _______________________________________________
> Syslog mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog