Subject: [Syslog] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ciphersuites-in-sec-syslog-00.txt

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:27:35 -0600

Hi Folks,

As Tom and Jurgen noted, Arijit Kumar Bose did send some notes to the 
Syslog mailing list. By the time I had snapped to, the system had timed 
most of them out. I finally got that last one approved and forwarded to 
the mailing list.

Arijit (and the IEC WG15) rightly notes that the RFCs are using 
deprecated cipher suits and the DTLS RFC is using a deprecated version.

Sean, Joe, and I worked out a -00 draft to address these issues. Like 
all -00 IDs, it's open to comments. :-) We know that there are some 
larger efforts underway to address TLS, DTLS and cipher suites. We're 
not going to try to do that here. Rather, we'd like to update RFCs 5425 
and 6012 to get them compliant with current standards with a minimal 
impact to current implementations.

Sean is going to run this by the secdispatch group to see if they can 
make a recommendation on where this may be best addressed and discussed. 
I'm sure that we'll get some good input from the group here on the 
Syslog mail list, so please send in your comments and let's get these 
two RFCs updated to using current best practices.

Best regards and have a great weekend,
Chris

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	I-D Action: draft-ciphersuites-in-sec-syslog-00.txt
Date: 	Fri, 10 Dec 2021 14:57:44 -0800
From: 	[email-masked]
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

Title : Updates to the Cipher Suites in Secure Syslog
Authors : Chris Lonvick
Sean Turner
Joe Salowey
Filename : draft-ciphersuites-in-sec-syslog-00.txt
Pages : 8
Date : 2021-12-10

Abstract:
This document updates the cipher suites in RFC 5425, Transport Layer
Security (TLS) Transport Mapping for Syslog, and RFC 6012, Datagram
Transport Layer Security (DTLS) Transport Mapping for Syslog. It
also updates the transport protocol in RFC 6012.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ciphersuites-in-sec-syslog/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ciphersuites-in-sec-syslog-00.html

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at 
rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 12:44:53 +0000

________________________________________
From: Syslog <[email-masked]> on behalf of Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Sent: 10 December 2021 23:27
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Joe Salowey; Arijit Bose
Subject: [Syslog] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ciphersuites-in-sec-syslog-00.txt

Hi Folks,

As Tom and Jurgen noted, Arijit Kumar Bose did send some notes to the Syslog mailing list. By the time I had snapped to, the system had timed most of them out. I finally got that last one approved and forwarded to the mailing list.

Arijit (and the IEC WG15) rightly notes that the RFCs are using deprecated cipher suits and the DTLS RFC is using a deprecated version.

<tp>

Chris et al

This is flawed.  The use of DTLS1.0 was noted by a security AD a long time ago and is now deprecated  and the syslog RFC have been updated accordingly so anyone saying that syslog uses a deprecated version is wrong; they need to understand the IETF process.

I tracked the work on the TLS list and even posted to that list the fact that the syslog RFC were missing.  I was ignored so I tried again at IETF Last Call and this time got them included (Ignoring me does not make me give up:-)

So your I-D needs to reflect the existing update.  Reinventing the wheel will likely cause confusion amongst subsequent ADs.

Tom Petch

Sean, Joe, and I worked out a -00 draft to address these issues. Like all -00 IDs, it's open to comments. :-) We know that there are some larger efforts underway to address TLS, DTLS and cipher suites. We're not going to try to do that here. Rather, we'd like to update RFCs 5425 and 6012 to get them compliant with current standards with a minimal impact to current implementations.

Sean is going to run this by the secdispatch group to see if they can make a recommendation on where this may be best addressed and discussed. I'm sure that we'll get some good input from the group here on the Syslog mail list, so please send in your comments and let's get these two RFCs updated to using current best practices.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        I-D Action: draft-ciphersuites-in-sec-syslog-00.txt
Date:   Fri, 10 Dec 2021 14:57:44 -0800
From:   [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Reply-To:       [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
To:     [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

Abstract:

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts

[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Jürgen Schönwälder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 15:44:30 +0100

And Tom, the reference is? It helps a lot to be concrete.

/js

On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 12:44:53PM +0000, tom petch wrote:
> Syslog mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 17:02:17 +0000

From: Jürgen Schönwälder <[email-masked]>
Sent: 11 December 2021 14:44

<tp>

8996

Tom Petch

/js

On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 12:44:53PM +0000, tom petch wrote:
> __