Subject: [Taps] Analysis of the socket APIs in the wild

From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 12:46:14 +0200

Hello,

I haven't followed the discussions within the TAPS working group 
closely, but I think that you could be interested by some ongoing work 
from one of our students, Gregory Cander Schueren. He has developped an 
open-source application, tcpsnitch, that allows to collect lots of 
statistics about how real networked applications use the socket and 
related APIs to interact with the underlying network stack. The software 
runs on Linux and Android and currently collects mainly information 
about the interactions with UDP, IP and TCP.

You can download it from https://github.com/GregoryVds/tcpsnitch
and use it with your favorite applications on Linux or Android.

All the data collected by the software is available on 
https://tcpsnitch.org and this website provides a first set of 
statistics and graphs about the collected dataset. I think that 
information about how real applications interact with the underlying 
TCP/IP stack could be valuable for the work performed within this 
working group. If you have ideas or suggestions for additional analysis, 
feel free to contact Gregory directly

Best regards,

Olivier