Subject: [Taps] Old paper related to your PASTE talk

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 12:37:57 +0100

Michio and the TAPS wg,

While I was checking over DavidB's (excellent) TSVAREA minutes, the 
discussion of the relationship between writing to non-volatile memory 
and TAPS triggered an old memory. I believe this would effectively add a 
requirement for persistence and/or transactional semantics to the API.

In the distributed systems research community, there was work on an API 
for persistence and transactional semantics that came up with some nice 
ideas in the late 1990s. They used reflection to provide app-specific 
information declaratively but still separate from app code. Obviously 
the age of the work dates some of the details (e.g. use of CORBA or 
Java), and there's no explicit consideration of latency, but it's still 
worth trying to understand the rationale for using reflection.

I found these two papers, that are part of the old ANSA project site 
that Andrew Herbert kindly rescued from oblivion recently, and uploaded 
to more stable storage (irony intended):

Schwiderski, Scarlet, "Design and Implementation of a Persistence 
Service for Java," ANSA Technical Report APM.1940.02 (January 1997)
http://www.computerconservationsociety.org/ansa/97/Primary/194002.pdf

Wu, Zhixue, "A Reflective Component-Based Transaction Architecture" 
Middleware'98
http://www.computerconservationsociety.org/ansa/ANSAhtml/98-ansa/external/9804tb/9804tran.pdf

And this tech report, which I haven't read, from the Uni of Tromsø:

Anna-Brith A. Jakobsen and Randi Karlsen, "ReflecTS; A Reflective 
Transaction Service Framework for Open Applications"
https://munin.uit.no/bitstream/handle/10037/378/report.pdf;sequence=1
via https://munin.uit.no/handle/10037/378

This paper gives a good starting point:
Stroud, R. & Wu, Z., "Using Meta-Object Protocols to Implement Atomic 
Data Types," Distributed Syst. Engineering 952(2):168-189 In: Proc. 
ECOOP'95 Vol.952 No.2 pp.168-189 (1995)
I can't find it online, but here's a scan of a tech report with the same 
title and authors: https://assets.cs.ncl.ac.uk/TRs/512.pdf

For those interested, try searching for some variation of "transaction 
OR persistence reflection metaobject middleware"

Bob

-- 
________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe                               http://bobbriscoe.net/

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 01:30:48 +0000

For current work in this area, see: https://www.snia.org/tech_activities/standards/curr_standards/npm

This is a hybrid of a functional model and an API, but is in about the same territory in that it defines the services that applications and programmers can expect/use.

Thanks, --David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: tsv-area [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bob Briscoe
> Sent: Monday, August 14, 2017 7:38 AM
> To: [email-masked]; TAPS WG IETF list <[email-masked]>
> Cc: tsv-area IETF list <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Old paper related to your PASTE talk
> 
> Michio and the TAPS wg,
>