Subject: [Taps] Document Action: 'Features of the User Datagram Protocol (UDP) and Lightweight UDP (UDP- Lite) Transport Protocols' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-taps-transports-usage-udp-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 11:22:07 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Features of the User Datagram Protocol (UDP) and Lightweight UDP (UDP-
   Lite) Transport Protocols'
  (draft-ietf-taps-transports-usage-udp-07.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Transport Services Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-taps-transports-usage-udp/

Technical Summary

This document describes well established function calls as "primitives" 
that any program can use to get automated transport services from the 
UDP and UDP-lite transport protocols. These primitives are services 
provided by the standards-track versions of the corresponding protocols. 
The working group believes the primitives will be useful for users of a 
transport service implementation.

Working Group Summary

The primitives for UDP and UDP-lite were initially intended to be 
part of draft-ietf-transport-usage, however working group agreed to 
have a smaller document for these protocols, because the authors
providing descriptions for these protocols had little overlap with 
the authors of draft-ietf-transport-usage, and the split allowed 
for better review by readers with expertise in these protocols.
 
As this document describes primitives based on what already 
available in standards-track RFCs for those protocol it was 
straightforward to get consensus on the primitives. 

Document Quality

All versions of this document got a fair amount of discussion on
the working group mailing list, were well reviewed and got 
positive feedback during working group last call.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Zaheduzzaman Sarker. 
The responsible Area Director is Spencer Dawkins.