Subject: Re: status of T/TCP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 09:09:44 -0700

*> 
  *> > There is still an issue with servers that implement RFC793 to the
  *> > letter, but I think this is probably an ignorable issue for the most
  *> > part (especially considering my intent of not using T/TCP at all for
  *> > some protocols).
  *> 
  *> An awful lot of low end "contraption in a box" devices are KA9Q derived
  *> and older KA9Q does not like T/TCP one bit.
  *> 

Are you saying that a T/TCP client actually *breaks* a TCP that
"implements RFC793 to the letter"?  I thought T/TCP was fully backward
compatible with strictly correct TCPs.  Could you explain further?
[This might actually be an sub-issue the is RELEVANT to this mailing
list!]

Bob Braden

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 18:49:45 +0100 (BST)

> [This might actually be an sub-issue the is RELEVANT to this mailing

Im not sure if its a bug or a feature. T/TCP isnt arguably compliant to
RFC793 since it sends data into a window that has not been advertised
and is closed. Thats pretty much pedantry.

What I do know is if I make a T/TCP connection to boxes using older
versions of KA9Q NOS the connection dies. It doesnt do a nice

syn+data+fin
syn|ack  (ack no data)
ack
[normal tcp]

it actually fails.