Subject: Re: status of T/TCP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 12:18:25 -0700

[This is the wrong list for this discussion, in my opinion.  But I
cannot resist saying...]

The first time I read this document, and again upon re-reading it, I
found its logic a little strange.  It seems to be summarized in two
points: (1) T/TCP is no more insecure than TCP is already, except (2)
in those cases where T/TCP gives better performance than TCP (eg
avoiding TW state), this performance improvement is undersirable
because it allows makes denial-of-service attacks easier.

Hey, I have a GREAT idea: let's set TCP's TW delay to 10 hours, to
increase TCP security.

Bob Braden

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 10:02:25 -0400

[email-masked] writes:
> points: (1) T/TCP is no more insecure than TCP is already,

No, it claims (correctly) that the lack of a three way handshake makes 
T/TCP substantially less secure than TCP is already. I believe that is 
the point.

Perry