Subject: Re: 'Slow-Start Restart after Idle' draft

From: Sean Doran <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:25:28 +0200 (CEST)

Joe Touch wrote:

| RTT may be correlated (it is debatable how closely); hopcount is
| much more meaningful. If you can get there in 0 hops, then there
| is no router, and you shouldn't be doing these tricks. That would 
| require a traceroute-like test, out-of-band to the regular TCP
| packets.

This seems like a good approach, but traceroute-like
tests may not be so simple -- consider the NAT case again:  you
send traffic to the "outside" address of the NAT itself, which may
be hopcount=0, although the traffic passing through the NAT will
be hopcount > 0.

	Sean.

---

From: Andi Kleen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:45:25 +0200

> be hopcount=0, although the traffic passing through the NAT will

Also it doesn't work for things like LANE over ATM or MPOA. 

-Andi