Subject: MTU greater than rcv.wnd

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:41:46 -0800

Scenario: two PCs with 8k windows on a Token Ring network with 16k
frames. What happens? Send a single 8k segment and then wait for ACK?

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                            [email-masked]
+1-650-685-0557                                    http://www.ehsco.com

---

From: "William Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:59:20 -0800

On Oct 29, 11:41am, Eric A. Hall wrote:
> Subject: MTU greater than rcv.wnd
>

if slow_start applies. It sends first MTU, and will get an ACK with updated
rcv.wnd, if the rcv.wnd is 0, the persist timer kick in.

-- 
William Li
[email-masked]/650-933-3751

---

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 12:06:49 -0800

> if slow_start applies.

I mean beyond slow-start, not that there's any difference in this model.

It seems that if the rcv.wnd is constantly smaller than the MTU, then
the sender will never send more than one segment without having to stop
and wait for an ACK, slow-start or not.

Confirming a suspicion,

Thanks

---

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:58:17 -0800

> frames. What happens? Send a single 8k segment and then wait for ACK?

That would be my guess as to one correct behaviour. 

HP-UX is supposed to be coded such that for an 8K window a 4K MSS will
be negotiated. In general, HP-UX will negotiate an MSS that is no more
than 1/2 the receive window at time of establishment.

rick jones
-- 
these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway... :)
feel free to email, or post, but please do not do both...
my email address is raj in the cup.hp.com domain...