Subject: Fwd: RFC 2525 on TCP Implementation Problems

From: Vern Paxson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 19:57:38 PST

------- Forwarded Message

Date:  Tue, 09 Mar 1999 16:19:27 -0800
From:  RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Subject:  RFC 2525 on TCP Implementation Problems
To:  IETF-Announce: ;
Cc:  [email-masked]
Mime-Version:  1.0
Content-Type:  Multipart/Mixed; Boundary=NextPart

- --NextPart

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2525: 

        Title:	    Known TCP Implementation Problems
	Author(s):  V. Paxson, M Allman, S. Dawson, W. Fenner,
		    J. Griner, I. Heavens, K. Lahey, J. Semke, B. Volz
	Status:     Informational
	Date:       March 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      61
        Characters: 137201
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpimpl-prob-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2525.txt

This memo catalogs a number of known TCP implementation problems.
The goal in doing so is to improve conditions in the existing
Internet by enhancing the quality of current TCP/IP implementations.
It is hoped that both performance and correctness issues can be
resolved by making implementors aware of the problems and their
solutions.  In the long term, it is hoped that this will provide a
reduction in unnecessary traffic on the network, the rate of
connection failures due to protocol errors, and load on network
servers due to time spent processing both unsuccessful connections
and retransmitted data.  This will help to ensure the stability of
the global Internet.

This document is a product of the TCP Implementation Working Group of
the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.

- --NextPart
Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative; Boundary="OtherAccess"

- --OtherAccess
Content-Type:  Message/External-body;
        access-type="mail-server";
        server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

RETRIEVE: rfc
DOC-ID: rfc2525

- --OtherAccess
Content-Type:   Message/External-body;
        name="rfc2525.txt";
        site="ftp.isi.edu";
        access-type="anon-ftp";
        directory="in-notes"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

- --OtherAccess--
- --NextPart--

------- End of Forwarded Message