Subject: Re: revised internet draft on suggested mod to the Nagle algorithm

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 12:47:43 -0700 (MST)

While it's clear there is little support for the current proposal for
modifying the Nagle algorithm, I think it is also clear that there would
be wide support for an ID that said that the Nagle algorithm should be
implemented according to the spirit of RFC 896.  We seem to agree that
the right way is to delay an application's send request when the connection
is not idle, but not delay any anything otherwise.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: Jon Snader <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:08:20 -0500

On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 12:47:43PM -0700, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> I think it is also clear that there would

RFC 896 says that *no* newly arrived data is to be sent if
the connection is not idle.  Most BSD derived implementations
will send new data if there is at least a full segment.  Are
you proposing to disallow this practice or is this still in
the spirit of RFC 896?

Jon Snader