Subject: revised internet draft on suggested mod to the Nagle algorithm

From: Greg Minshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:49:42 -0800

Hi, all.

I am sending (in a separate message) a revision of the internet draft.  I 
haven't submitted it to the I-D directory yet, wanting to pass it by everyone 
first.

There are various minor changes, but there are also some more major changes:

1.  "algorithmic" descriptions of both the current and modified Nagle 
algorithms.

2.  a discussion of implementing Nagle in send() (both current and proposed).

3.  an appendix giving some application code providing a model for how 
applications might ensure not having their data being subject to Nagle.

I think most people wanted "2" above, though i'm still a bit queasy.  I worry 
it will generate so much discussion that we won't get to any agreement.

Number "3" is *motivated* by Eric Hall's desire to have a warning included for 
application developers thinking of disabling Nagle (which is included 
separately in the document).  I'd be glad to delete the appendix (though TCP 
implementors might want to consider it as a test case outline).

Anyway, let me know what you think (not that anyone on this list is shy about 
that!).

Greg Minshall