Subject: Re: internet draft on suggested mod to the Nagle algorithm

From: David Borman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:42:22 -0600 (CST)

> From: Barney Wolff <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 17:03 EST
>
> At the risk of looking silly, don't I remember that setting NODELAY
> has to be done before the socket is connected?  That means that a
> server has to make its choice before it knows who's asking and what
> the request is, unless it can listen on different ports.  To me,
> that's the advantage of the flush bit.  Same problem with setting
> SND/RCVBUF.

No.  TCP_NODELAY can be set/unset at any time.  What needs to be
done before the connect is the setting of RCVBUF, so that the
correct window scale option will be negotiated at connect time. 

			-David Borman, [email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Alexander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 15:55:56 -0800

I'm pretty sure that in a lot of BSD-based implementations,
TCP_NODELAY is not inherited across accept() because so_options
is copied, but t_flags is not.  Maybe this is where the
confusion originates.

-- Steve

> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Borman [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 1999 2:42 PM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: internet draft on suggested mod to the Nagle algorithm
> 
>