Subject: SUBNETS

From: "Paul Simon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 09:41:43 -0500

Can any one explain the /subnet and number of IP's in each subnet block?

--
 Thanks,
 Paul T. Simon
 Pudik Graphics, Inc.
 www.pudikgraphics.com

---

From: Keith Owens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:12:56 +1000

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 09:41:43 -0500, 
>Can any one explain the /subnet and number of IP's in each subnet block?

ftp://ftp.ocs.com.au/pub/ipcalc.pl.gz automates this for you.

# ipcalc.pl 192.168.255.17/30

IP address         192   .  168   .  255   .   17    / 30  192.168.255.17/30
Netmask bits     11111111 11111111 11111111 11111100
Netmask bytes      255   .  255   .  255   .  252          255.255.255.252
Address bits     11000000 10101000 11111111 00010001
Network            192   .  168   .  255   .   16          192.168.255.16
Broadcast          192   .  168   .  255   .   19          192.168.255.19
First Host         192   .  168   .  255   .   17          192.168.255.17
Last Host          192   .  168   .  255   .   18          192.168.255.18
Total Hosts      2
PTR              17.255.168.192.in-addr.arpa
IP Address (hex) C0A8FF11