Subject: Re: SUBNETS

From: Sunil Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 18:09:46 GMT

Hello Simon

IP address consists of 4 octets ranging from
0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255

This range is further divided into different classes to make
certain things easier

Class A: First octet can be between 0 to 126 (2 power 24 - 2 IP add)
Class B: First octet can be between 128 to 191(2 power 16 - 2 IP add)
Class C: First octet can be between 192 to 223(2 power 8 -2 IP add)
Class D: First octet can be between 224 to 239 (multicast)
Class E: remaining address

However defining IP addresses in this way restricts the allocation of
IP address in terms of numbers of IP addresses needed.

Like if you need 10000 IP addresses for ur organization, you have to
take Class B address, since class C address can only have 254 addresses . 
But while taking Class B address, you are wasting 55000
IP addresses as Class B can have near to 65000 IP addresses.

Here comes the term of subnets. We divide each class based networks
into different subnets so that do use maximum IP addresses.
Like if you need 1000 IP address. A class B network can be subneted
into 64 subnetworks by using 6 bit subnet mask each having 1024 IP
address. Note u can only subnet on power of 2. One of the 1024
subnetwork is allocated to you and remaining can be used by other
organizations.

Maximum ip address for a particular subnetwork is maximum possible
addresses -2. Since u cant use ALL one's and ALL zeros.

So in this case u can use 1022 IP addresses.

Hope it clear a bit

Regards

Sunil Kumar

>From: "Paul Simon" <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: SUBNETS
>Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 09:41:43 -0500
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>From [email-masked] Wed Jun 09 10:54:23 1999
>Received: from [139.88.112.33] by hotmail.com (1.5) with SMTP id 
>MHotMailB927F53E013FD10170768B587021CCEE0; Wed Jun 09 10:54:23 1999
>Received: (from listserv@localhost)by lombok-fi.lerc.nasa.gov (NASA LeRC 
>8.9.1.1/8.9.1) id KAA03158for tcp-impl-outgoing; Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:49:01 
>-0400 (EDT)
>Received: from mail.pudikgraphics.com (fw01.lerc.nasa.gov 
>[139.88.145.14])by lombok-fi.lerc.nasa.gov (NASA LeRC 8.9.1.1/8.9.1) with 
>ESMTP id KAA03150for <[email-masked]>; Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:48:59 
>-0400 (EDT)
>Received: from pudikgraphics.com ([206.151.190.196])          by 
>mail.pudikgraphics.com (Netscape Messaging Server 3.5)           with ESMTP 
>id 462 for <[email-masked]>;          Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:48:52 
>-0500
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>Organization: Pudik Graphics, Inc.
>X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.6 [en] (Win95; I)
>X-Accept-Language: en-US
>Sender: [email-masked]
>Precedence: bulk
>
>Can any one explain the /subnet and number of IP's in each subnet block?
>
>--
>  Thanks,
>  Paul T. Simon
>  Pudik Graphics, Inc.
>  www.pudikgraphics.com
>
>

_______________________________________________________________
Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com