Subject: queue limits for DSL and modems

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:49:08 -0700

does anyone have pointers to or data for queue limits in the downstream
(ie towards the "user") direction for DSL links and/or dial-up modems?
I'm looking for numbers to plug into a crude Streams port of dummynet.

thanks,

rick jones
-- 
these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway... :)
feel free to email, or post, but please do not do both...
my email address is raj in the cup.hp.com domain...

---

From: Neal Cardwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 19:26:14 -0700 (PDT)

Based on TCP behavior, my ADSL setup seems to be willing to buffer about 7
1500-byte packets in the downstream direction. This is an ADSL modem
configured by USWest for 512Kbps down and 256Kbps up.

I've heard reports of experiments deducing the existence of very big
(50-70 x 1500-byte packet) buffers in dial-up modems at the University of
Washington.

No idea how representative either of these data points are.

neal