Subject: a question about RED gateway

From: Silvia Frittelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 18:19:55 +0100

I have a question about the computation of the average queue lenght  avg
calculated in  "Random Early Detection Gateways for Congestion
Avoidance" by Sally Floyd and Van Jacobson (IEEE/ACM TRANSACTIONS ON
NETWORKING, vol 1,n. 4, August 1993).

When the queue is not empty

avg ->avg*(1-w_q)exp[(time -q_time)/s]

where:
avg is the average queue lenght;
time is the actual time;
q_time is the moment corresponding to the beginning of the idle of the
queue;
s is the typical trasmission time for a small packet;

I don't understand what the expression
  (time-q_time)/s
means.

Infact if it could be the number of packets that might have been
transmitted by the gateway during the time that the queue is idle,
I don't understand  why  I have to consider the typical trasmission time
for a SMALL packet instead of the typical trasmission time for a MEDIUM
packet.

Thank you.

---

From: Vern Paxson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 20:02:10 PST

> NETWORKING, vol 1,n. 4, August 1993).

This is not the right mailing list for this question - you might
instead try [email-masked].

		Vern