Subject: [tcpm] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-behave-tcp-01.txt

From: Saikat Guha <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:08:03 +0100

Hi folks,

An updated version of the BEHAVE-TCP draft is now available. The major
changes from -00 are listed below. 

The primary open issue is that of handling unsolicited inbound SYN
packets -- i.e. to report an error, or silently drop, or something in
between. (Note: these SYN packets are different from SYN packets that
are part of a TCP Simultaneous-Open attempt, which are in fact
solicited.) The draft addresses the concerns in Section 4.3, REQ-4 and
presents several alternatives.

We expect to resolve this issue at the BEHAVE WG meeting at IETF. If you
have any opinions on the matter please attend the session or email the
list in advance. We will summarize the decision taken in the TCPM
meeting for those that cannot attend BEHAVE. 

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 15:50 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
> 	Title		: NAT Behavioral Requirements for TCP
> 	Author(s)	: S. Guha, et al.
> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-behave-tcp-01.txt
> 	Pages		: 19
> 	Date		: 2006-6-20
> 	
> This document defines a set of requirements for NATs that handle TCP
>    that would allow many applications, such as peer-to-peer applications
>    and on-line games, to work consistently.  Developing NATs that meet
>    this set of requirements will greatly increase the likelihood that
>    these applications will function properly.
> 
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-tcp-01.txt

Discussion points on- and off- list since -00 have been merged. 
Big changes from -00 are:

1. Document is self standing. Understanding BEHAVE-UDP is no longer
   a prerequisite for this document.

2. Handling of unsolicited inbound SYN (REQ-4) is an open issue. The
   alternative wordings are mentioned in the document.

(This email is being sent to BEHAVE and TCPM)

cheers,
-- 
Saikat
_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm