Subject: [tcpm] Re: [Tsvwg] new I-D: TCP Simple Authentication Option

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:34:45 +0300

Hi,

(TSVWG BCC'ed.)

There is an active discussion on the tcpm list about this ID (draft- 
touch-tcpm-tcp-simple-auth), draft-bonica-tcp-auth and the overall  
approach of replacing TCP-MD5 and/or securing BGP.

The TSV ADs would like to ask the community to contribute to this  
discussion. There is a general agreement that we need to move away  
from TCP-MD5, but there isn't a clearly identified candidate  
mechanism that current users of TCP-MD5 should migrate to. We're  
trying to get a feeling on the view of the TSV community on this issue.

Thanks,
Lars

PS: In order to not fragment the discussion, please respond on the  
tcpm list.
-- 
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:37:40 -0700

Hi, all,

The above I-D has just been updated. It is intended to provide a
simpler alternative to updating TCP/MD5. Comments welcome.

The update allows rekeying during a connection, and as a result removes
all discussion of BGP graceful restart. It still assumes that all key
management is external to TCP; this is similar to how the IKE is
external to AH/ESP in the IPsec suite.

It is currently available at:
http://www.isi.edu/touch/pubs/draft-touch-tcpm-tcp-simple-auth-01.txt
(and should appear in the usual places very shortly)

Joe and Allison