Subject: [tcpm] feedback on draft-touch-tcp-portnames-00

From: Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:34:22 -0700

Joe -

I think it would be good to add an explicit section in your draft
about Service Codes in DCCP, along with a discussion of why service
codes should or should not be used differently in TCP and DCCP, a
comparison of the two approaches, etc.  Mark Handley would be a
good person to ask about the proposed use of service codes in DCCP.

- Sally
http://www.icir.org/floyd/

>From RFC 4340, the main DCCP RFC:

  Service Code: 32 bits
    Describes the application-level service to which the client application
    wants to connect.  Service Codes are intended to provide information
    about which application protocol a connection intends to use, thus
    aiding middleboxes and reducing reliance on globally well-known
    ports.  See Section 8.1.2."

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:43:48 -0700

Agreed - that was raised on the list already, and has been pending for
the next revision.

Joe