Subject: [tcpm] early retransmit redux

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 23:11:09 -0400

Folks-

A long time ago a bunch of us wrote a draft on 'early retransmit', which
is essentially allowing TCPs to trigger fast retransmit on one or two
dupacks when the cwnd is small enough such that three dupacks could
never be generated for a loss.  We pushed this in TSVWG before TCPM was
formed.  We stopped pushing this I-D because some of our analysis of
network traces seemed to indicate that ER was sort of a crapshoot,
failing as much as succeeding.  However, given that we never went beyond
sort of a preliminary assessment and did not publish the results (/ let
them stand against peer review) we no longer think we should stop the ER
draft because of these results.  Further, the results were from one
particular network and it would seem useful to gain a broad
understanding of how ER works in a variety of environments.

My recollection is that once upon a time the TSVWG had some consensus to
take on ER as a work item with the intention of publishing it as an
experimental RFC.  We have advertised a revision of the document and
gotten no reaction within TSVWG.  I wonder if this WG might have any
thoughts on whether this should be worked up into an RFC or not.  The
draft is:

    http://www.icir.org/mallman/papers/draft-allman-tcp-early-rexmt-04.txt

Comments, questions, etc. welcome.  Thanks in advance!

allman

(Oh- all this with my co-chair hat off, of course.)

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm