Subject: [tcpm] I-D Action:draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-auth-opt-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : The TCP Authentication Option
	Author(s)       : J. Touch, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-auth-opt-04.txt
	Pages           : 48
	Date            : 2009-03-09

This document specifies the TCP Authentication Option (TCP-AO), which 
obsoletes the TCP MD5 Signature option of RFC-2385 (TCP MD5). TCP-AO 
specifies the use of stronger Message Authentication Codes (MACs), 
protects against replays even for long-lived TCP connections, and 
provides more details on the association of security with TCP 
connections than TCP MD5. TCP-AO is compatible with either static 
master key configuration or an external, out-of-band master key 
management mechanism; in either case, TCP-AO also protects 
connections when using the same master key across repeated instances 
of a connection, using traffic keys derived from the master key, and 
coordinates key changes between endpoints. The result is intended to 
support current infrastructure uses of TCP MD5, such as to protect 
long-lived connections (as used, e.g., in BGP and LDP), and to 
support a larger set of MACs with minimal other system and 
operational changes. TCP-AO uses its own option identifier, even 
though used mutually exclusive of TCP MD5 on a given TCP connection. 
TCP-AO supports IPv6, and is fully compatible with the requirements 
for the replacement of TCP MD5.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-auth-opt-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 12:19:56 -0700

Hi, all,

The changes to this document are summarized in the document; they
include a major restructuring for readability, the addition of a key
change coordination mechanism, and a clearer description of the purpose
of the TSAD (now called the TAPD).

Comments welcome, of course. Please do read this through, though - most
if the doc has changed (hopefully for the better).

The primary current open issue for SFO regards whether the key
coordination mechanism requires support to prevent "backup" (changing
back to a key previously used).

FYI.

Joe

[email-masked] wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> tcpm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm

---

From: "Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-RCN0)[Verizon]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 21:18:15 -0500

As comments are made on this, I'm planning to put any issues identified into
the issue tracker that'll be linked from our IETF tools page:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/tcpm/
that Henrik just nicely setup for us.  If there are current issues people have
with version 04 of the draft, and you send them to me or the list, I'll enter
them in.

This will be a little new for TCPM, but I think it'll help keep track of things
as we finish the document off.

________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Joe Touch [[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 3:19 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [tcpm] I-D Action:draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-auth-opt-04.txt

Hi, all,

FYI.

Joe