Subject: [tcpm] Suggestion for TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions (tcpm)

From: "tim robertson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 00:25:14 -0500

Hi, I have a suggestion for TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions (tcpm).
You should make TCP censorship free. By that I mean isp's shouldn't be
able to block websites by using blacklists, url blocking, ip address
block, dns, keyword block etc. For example, in China, some perfectly
legal websites like wikipedia are blocked, so that is why TCP should be
changed so isp's cannot block websites. So you may have to work with
operating system makers and router makers to update their software, but
it should be backwards compatible too. Can you pass on my suggestion?Thanks

-- 
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
Get a Free Account at www.mail.com

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 08:27:28 -0700

Hi, Tim,

tim robertson wrote:
> block, dns, keyword block etc. 

If what you're asking for is to have us design a TCP that can't be
easily blocked, then yes, that might happen here. Note that this would
require a way to specify the service that, e.g., a popular web server
could decipher (e.g., wikipedia, etc.), but that an intermediate could
not. The intermediate could always block anything it can't decipher, and
you're back where you are now, though.

However, if you're asking us to regulate what ISPs do, that doesn't
happen in the IETF. We don't regulate, do compliance verification, or
otherwise endorse implementations.

It might be useful to clarify what you are seeking...

Joe

(PS to the WG - I was surprised that there doesn't appear to be a direct
statement of the second point above in the Tao of the IETF. Anyone have
a better reference?)