Subject: [tcpm] I-D Action:draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc2581bis-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 05:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : TCP Congestion Control
	Author(s)       : M. Allman, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc2581bis-06.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2009-07-27

This document defines TCP's four intertwined congestion control
 algorithms: slow start, congestion avoidance, fast retransmit, and
 fast recovery.  In addition, the document specifies how TCP should
 begin transmission after a relatively long idle period, as well as
 discussing various acknowledgment generation methods.  This document
 obsoletes RFC 2581.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc2581bis-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 05:56:03 -0700

Hi, all,

>  discussing various acknowledgment generation methods.  This document

FWIW, regarding the discussion of the long idle period:

The algorithm used is based on a footnote in the appendix of an
unpublished extension of Van's 1988 Sigcomm paper. Amy Hughes, John
Heidemann, and I noted this a few years ago on this list in the
following I-D:
http://www.isi.edu/touch/pubs/draft-hughes-restart-00.txt

Here is a link to the 1988 Sigcomm paper:
http://www.acm.org/pubs/articles/proceedings/comm/52324/p314-jacobson/p314-jacobson.pdf

The Sigcomm version was only 16 pages long. The word "idle" does not
appear anywhere in it.

FWIW, see also our I-D for a few ways to deal with the issue. The
problem is really that the sender is accumulating permission to burst,
which just using a timer cannot address.

Joe