Subject: [tcpm] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc3782-bis-03.txt> (The NewReno Modification to TCP's Fast Recovery Algorithm) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 19:37:22 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the TCP Maintenance and Minor
Extensions WG (tcpm) to consider the following document:
- 'The NewReno Modification to TCP's Fast Recovery Algorithm'
  <draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc3782-bis-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-11-21. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   RFC 5681 documents the following four intertwined TCP
   congestion control algorithms: slow start, congestion avoidance, fast
   retransmit, and fast recovery.  RFC 5681 explicitly allows
   certain modifications of these algorithms, including modifications
   that use the TCP Selective Acknowledgement (SACK) option (RFC 2883),
   and modifications that respond to "partial acknowledgments" (ACKs
   which cover new data, but not all the data outstanding when loss was
   detected) in the absence of SACK.  This document describes a specific
   algorithm for responding to partial acknowledgments, referred to as
   NewReno.  This response to partial acknowledgments was first proposed
   by Janey Hoe.  This document obsoletes RFC 3782.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc3782-bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc3782-bis/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.