Subject: [tcpm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-edo-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:23:33 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : TCP Extended Data Offset Option
        Authors         : Joe Touch
                          Wesley M. Eddy
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-edo-01.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2014-10-13

Abstract:
   TCP segments include a Data Offset field to indicate space for TCP
   options, but the size of the field can limit the space available for
   complex options that have evolved. This document updates RFC 793
   with an optional TCP extension to that space to support the use of
   multiple large options such as SACK with either TCP Multipath or TCP
   AO. It also explains why the initial SYN of a connection cannot be
   extending a single segment.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-edo/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-edo-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-edo-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:35:41 -0700

Hi, all,

We just posted an update to the EDO doc:

Primary changes:
- added Implementation details section (8) based on Pasi and my student
- change the option to indicate length in 4-byte words
	(simpler to unify with DO use, as suggested by Pasi)
- include experimental option ExID (0x0ED0)
	which has already been confirmed with IANA

and, to address asymmetric middleboxes that silently remove EDO:
- prohibit EDO length option from SYN/ACK
- require EDO in all segments once negotiated
- discuss these issues in Section 6.2

I continue to believe we need to limit the extent to which we deal with
increasing egregious middlebox behavior inside widely-deployed TCP,
because, IMO, TCP should not be confused with a network diagnostic tool.

Joe

On 10/13/2014 10:23 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> tcpm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm
>

---

From: John Leslie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 15:14:37 -0400

Joe Touch <[email-masked]> wrote:
>...

   I take this to be a "WG snapshot" appropriate for implementors to
implement from for experimental purposes. As such I endorse it.
Actual implementations and experiments will be very helpful.

   But the actual changes, in some cases, seem premature to call WG
consensus. I trust that we will consider them more carefully before
the WGCs call consensus on them.

--
John Leslie <[email-masked]>

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 12:43:43 -0700

> On Oct 15, 2014, at 12:14 PM, John Leslie <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Yes that was the intent. 

Joe