Subject: [tcpm] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tcpm-accecn-reqs-07.txt> (Problem Statement and Requirements for a More Accurate ECN Feedback) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 09:34:12 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the TCP Maintenance and Minor
Extensions WG (tcpm) to consider the following document:
- 'Problem Statement and Requirements for a More Accurate ECN Feedback'
  <draft-ietf-tcpm-accecn-reqs-07.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-12-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) is a mechanism where network
   nodes can mark IP packets instead of dropping them to indicate
   congestion to the end-points.  An ECN-capable receiver will feed this
   information back to the sender.  ECN is specified for TCP in such a
   way that it can only feed back one congestion signal per Round-Trip
   Time (RTT).  In contrast, ECN for other transport protocols, such as
   RTP/UDP and SCTP, is specified with more accurate ECN feedback.
   Recent new TCP mechanisms (like ConEx or DCTCP) need more accurate
   ECN feedback in the case where more than one marking is received in
   one RTT.  This document specifies requirements for an update to the
   TCP protocol to provide more accurate ECN feedback.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-accecn-reqs/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-accecn-reqs/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.