Subject: [tcpm] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC6093 (4343)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 03:29:34 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC6093,
"On the Implementation of the TCP Urgent Mechanism".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6093&eid=4343

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Andrew Yourtchenko <[email-masked]>

Section: 3.1

Original Text
-------------
   As discussed in Section 2, the TCP urgent mechanism simply permits a
   point in the data stream to be designated as the end of urgent
   information but does NOT provide a mechanism for sending "out-of-
   band" data.

   Unfortunately, virtually all TCP implementations process TCP urgent
   indications differently.  By default, the last byte of "urgent data"
   is delivered "out of band" to the application.  That is, it is not
   delivered as part of the normal data stream [UNPv1].  For example,
   the "out-of-band" byte is read by an application when a recv(2)
   system call with the MSG_OOB flag set is issued.

Corrected Text
--------------
   As discussed in Section 2, the TCP urgent mechanism simply permits a
   point in the data stream to be designated as the end of urgent
   information but does NOT provide a mechanism for sending "out-of-
   band" data.

   Unfortunately, virtually all TCP implementations process TCP urgent
   indications differently from that.  

   By default, the last byte of "urgent data"
   is delivered "out of band" to the application.  That is, it is not
   delivered as part of the normal data stream [UNPv1].  For example,
   the "out-of-band" byte is read by an application when a recv(2)
   system call with the MSG_OOB flag set is issued.

Notes
-----
Errata #4312 has uncovered that the second paragraph in section 3.1 can be interpreted incorrectly - as "all implementations differ from one another" vs. the intended "all implementations differ from the behavior described in the spec".

This errata adds splits the sentence in question and adds the "from that" to its end in order to minimize this potential for misinterpretation when the second paragraph is read in isolation.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC6093 (draft-ietf-tcpm-urgent-data-07)
--------------------------------------
Title               : On the Implementation of the TCP Urgent Mechanism
Publication Date    : January 2011
Author(s)           : F. Gont, A. Yourtchenko
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG