Subject: [tcpm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tcpm-rtorestart-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 00:05:08 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : TCP and SCTP RTO Restart
        Authors         : Per Hurtig
                          Anna Brunstrom
                          Andreas Petlund
                          Michael Welzl
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tcpm-rtorestart-08.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2015-06-18

Abstract:
   This document describes a modified sender-side algorithm for managing
   the TCP and SCTP retransmission timers that provides faster loss
   recovery when there is a small amount of outstanding data for a
   connection.  The modification, RTO Restart (RTOR), allows the
   transport to restart its retransmission timer so that the effective
   RTO becomes more aggressive in situations where fast retransmit
   cannot be used.  This enables faster loss detection and recovery for
   connections that are short-lived or application-limited.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-rtorestart/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-rtorestart-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tcpm-rtorestart-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Per Hurtig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 09:13:39 +0200

Hi all,

we’ve now addressed all the comments we’ve received during WGLC, including:

* Clarified, at multiple places in the document, that the modification only
   causes the effective RTO to be more aggressive, not the actual RTO.

* Removed information in the introduction that was too detailed, i.e.,
   material that is hard to understand without knowing details of the
   algorithm.

* Changed the name of Section 3 to more correctly capture the actual
   contents of the section.

* Re-arranged the text in Section 3 to have a more logical structure.

* Moved text from the algorithm description (Section 4) to the
   introduction of the discussion section (Section 5).  The text was
   discussing the possible effects of the algorithm more than
   describing the actual algorithm.

* Clarified why the RECOMMENDED value of rrthresh is four.

* Reworked the introduction to be suitable for both TCP and SCTP.

Cheers,
Per
> On 18 Jun 2015, at 09:05, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> tcpm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm