Subject: [tcpm] RFC 7661 on Updating TCP to Support Rate-Limited Traffic

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 16:15:15 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7661

        Title:      Updating TCP to Support Rate-Limited 
                    Traffic 
        Author:     G. Fairhurst, A. Sathiaseelan, R. Secchi
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 51267
        Obsoletes:  RFC 2861

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7661

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7661

This document provides a mechanism to address issues that arise when
TCP is used for traffic that exhibits periods where the sending rate
is limited by the application rather than the congestion window.  It
provides an experimental update to TCP that allows a TCP sender to
restart quickly following a rate-limited interval.  This method is
expected to benefit applications that send rate-limited traffic using
TCP while also providing an appropriate response if congestion is
experienced.

This document also evaluates the Experimental specification of TCP
Congestion Window Validation (CWV) defined in RFC 2861 and concludes
that RFC 2861 sought to address important issues but failed to
deliver a widely used solution.  This document therefore reclassifies
the status of RFC 2861 from Experimental to Historic.  This document
obsoletes RFC 2861.

This document is a product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC