Subject: [tcpm] Updated AccECN to draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-accurate-ecn-05.txt

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 20:14:31 +0100

Folks,

We just posted an updated version, mainly fixing problems Koen and 
Praveen pointed out, as well as stuff we (the authors) noticed, 
particularly from Mira starting to implement it.

We're asking the chairs of the IETF tcpm list if they can put out a call 
for chartering work on accurate ECN in the tcpm WG.
If that succeeds, it would start on the path to becoming an 
(experimental) change to the TCP wire protocol. So the more people who 
read it, send critique to the tcpm list, attempt to implement it, or 
describe/implement alternative ways to solve the same problem, the better.

Here's an overview of the diffs:

    From 04 to 05::

       *  Corrected ambiguity between Classic ECN and Classic ECN
          feedback throughout

       *  Changed MUST to SHOULD send AccECN option on SYN/ACK last ACK
          of 3WHS and first data segment from client, to allow for cached
          knowledge of option traversal problems.

       *  Removed duplication of normative language about sending a full-
          length option in the sections on "The AccECN Option" and "Usage
          of the AccECN Option", and mutually cross referenced.

       *  Acknowledged Koen De Schepper and Praveen Balasubramanian

       *  Noted in Appendix that algo to beacon a full-length option is
          work-in-progress

       *  Editorial corrections and clarifications throughout

Bob

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-accurate-ecn-05.txt
Date: 	Mon, 19 Oct 2015 12:00:39 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Mirja Kuehlewind <[email-masked]>, "Mirja 
Kühlewind" <[email-masked]>, Richard Scheffenegger 
<[email-masked]>, Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-accurate-ecn-05.txt
has been successfully submitted by Bob Briscoe and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-accurate-ecn
Revision:	05
Title:		More Accurate ECN Feedback in TCP
Document date:	2015-10-19
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		38
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-accurate-ecn-05.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-accurate-ecn/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-accurate-ecn-05
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-accurate-ecn-05

Abstract:
    Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) is a mechanism where network
    nodes can mark IP packets instead of dropping them to indicate
    incipient congestion to the end-points.  Receivers with an ECN-
    capable transport protocol feed back this information to the sender.
    ECN is specified for TCP in such a way that only one feedback signal
    can be transmitted per Round-Trip Time (RTT).  Recently, new TCP
    mechanisms like Congestion Exposure (ConEx) or Data Center TCP
    (DCTCP) need more accurate ECN feedback information whenever more
    than one marking is received in one RTT.  This document specifies an
    experimental scheme to provide more than one feedback signal per RTT
    in the TCP header.  Given TCP header space is scarce, it overloads
    the three existing ECN-related flags in the TCP header and provides
    additional information in a new TCP option.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat