Subject: [Teas] Applicability of Abstraction and Control of TE Networks (ACTN) to Network Slicing

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 16:24:30 +0100

Dear Teas, 

Given the topical nature of network slicing, I thought it might be helpful
to write an I-D that attempts to summarise applicability of ACTN to network
slicing. My attempts to classify "network slicing" are based on the various
discussions seen recently on the teas list, and some useful external
documents and specifications (which I referenced in the I-D). As always.
Comments, reviews and especially text contributions are most welcome and
highly valued! 

Applicability of Abstraction and Control of TE Networks (ACTN) to Network
Slicing

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-king-teas-applicability-actn-slicing-00

BR, Dan. 

-----Original Message-----
From: I-D-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: 13 June 2017 16:03
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-king-teas-applicability-actn-slicing-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : Applicability of Abstraction and Control of TE
Networks (ACTN) to Network Slicing

        Author          : Daniel King

                Filename        :
draft-king-teas-applicability-actn-slicing-00.txt

                Pages           : 14

                Date            : 2017-06-13

Abstract:

   Network abstraction is a technique that can be applied to a network

   domain to manage network resources to create a virtualized network

   that is under the control of a network operator (or perhaps the

   customer).

   Network slicing is an approach to network operations that builds on

   the concept of network abstraction to provide programmability,

   flexibility, and modularity.  It uses techniques such as Software

   Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Function Virtualization (NFV)

   to create multiple logical (virtual) networks, each tailored for a

   given use case, on top of a common network.

   These logical networks are referred to as network slices. A network

   slice does not necessarily represent dedicated resources in the

   server network, but does constitute a commitment by the service

   provider to provide a specific level of service.

   The Abstraction and Control of Traffic Engineered Networks (ACTN)

   defines an SDN-based architecture that relies on the concepts of

   network and service abstraction to detach network and service

   control from the underlying data plane.

   This document outlines the applicability of ACTN to network

   slicing in an IETF technology network.  It also identifies the

   features of network slicing not currently within the scope of ACTN,

   and indicates where ACTN might be extended.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-king-teas-applicability-actn-slicing
/>
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-king-teas-applicability-actn-slicing/

There are also htmlized versions available at:

 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-king-teas-applicability-actn-slicing-00>
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-king-teas-applicability-actn-slicing-00

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-king-teas-applicability-actn-sl
icing-00>
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-king-teas-applicability-actn-sli
cing-00