Subject: [ietf-tls] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tls-ciphersuite-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 06:28:45 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Layer Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: AES Ciphersuites for TLS
	Author(s)	: P. Chown
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tls-ciphersuite-02.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 15-Nov-00
	
At present, the symmetric ciphers supported by TLS are RC2, RC4,
IDEA, DES and triple DES.  The protocol would be enhanced by the
addition of AES [AES] ciphersuites, for the following reasons:
1.  RC2, RC4 and IDEA are all subject to intellectual property
claims.  RSA Security Inc has trademark rights in the names RC2
and RC4, and claims that the RC4 algorithm itself is a trade
secret.  Ascom Systec Ltd owns a patent on the IDEA algorithm.
2.  Triple DES is much less efficient than more modern ciphers.
3.  Now the AES process is completed there will be commercial pres¡
sure to use the selected cipher.  The AES is efficient and has
withstood extensive cryptanalytic efforts.  The AES is
therefore a desirable choice.
4.  Currently the DHE ciphersuites only allow triple DES (along
with some ``export'' variants which offer reduced key lengths).
At the same time the DHE ciphersuites are the only ones to
offer forward secrecy.
This document proposes two new ciphersuites, with the aim of over¡
coming these problems.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-ciphersuite-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tls-ciphersuite-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-ciphersuite-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
---
You are currently subscribed to ietf-tls as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]