Subject: Re: [TLS] review comments on draft-rescorla-tls-subcerts-01

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2017 18:44:01 -0500

On 03/29/2017 10:29 AM, Subodh Iyengar wrote:
>
>
>
> > Do we want to leave the valid SignatureSchemes as all that are
> defined, or mention the Recommended column in the registry, or narrow
> things even further?  In other words, should we give some guidance for
> how to select a scheme to use?
>
> It's restricted to the ones that are supported by the client in TLS
> 1.3. I don't see TLS recommending signature algorithms to use beyond
> section 4.2.3 that "rsa_pkcs1_sha1, dsa_sha1, and ecdsa_sha1 SHOULD
> NOT be offered.". What kind of a recommendation would you like to see.
> Would love a pull request at https://github.com/ekr/tls-subcerts/pulls
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_ekr_tls-2Dsubcerts_pulls&d=DwMFAw&c=96ZbZZcaMF4w0F4jpN6LZg&r=sssDLkeEEBWNIXmTsdpw8TZ3tAJx-Job4p1unc7rOhM&m=MX_8eP9NvbNaOiSC3ukAcNUD_L0Q6aEVZRPgnjTFQDg&s=ov37thVJjJShsq7fMsmzBtxCvl51V6TYvHzAwfC7MvI&e=> to
> get a general idea of what you would like to see.
>
>

All I had in mind was like one sentence when talking about the
interpretation of the 'scheme' field of DelegatedCredential: "The scheme
is taken from the TLS SignatureSchemes registry [RFCTLS1.3], and schemes
recommended for use in TLS are also recommended for use in delegated
credentials."  Arguably not needed at all, but perhaps gives a bit more
clarity.

-Ben