Subject: [TLS] Protocol Action: 'ECDHE_PSK with AES-GCM and AES-CCM Cipher Suites for Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol version 1.2' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tls-ecdhe-psk-aead-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 14:04:58 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'ECDHE_PSK with AES-GCM and AES-CCM Cipher Suites for Transport Layer
   Security (TLS) Protocol version 1.2'
  (draft-ietf-tls-ecdhe-psk-aead-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Layer Security Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Kathleen Moriarty and Eric Rescorla.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-ecdhe-psk-aead/

Technical Summary

   This document defines several new cipher suites for the Transport
   Layer Security (TLS) protocol.  The cipher suites are all based on
   the Ephemeral Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman with Pre-Shared Key
   (ECDHE_PSK) key exchange together with the Authenticated Encryption
   with Associated Data (AEAD) algorithms AES-GCM and AES-CCM.  PSK
   provides light and efficient authentication, ECDHE provides perfect
   forward secrecy, and AES-GCM and AES-CCM provides encryption and
   integrity protection.

Working Group Summary

  There is general support for this document in the working group.  
  The main issues focused around trimming down the list of cipher
  suites to the minimum number required.  

Document Quality

  The document has been review by the TLS working group. The SecDir
  review triggered additional useful conversation and draft updates.

Personnel

  Joseph Salowey is the Document Shepherd.
  Kathleen Moriarty is the responsible AD.

IANA Note

  Code points are requested for existing registries.