Subject: [Tools-discuss] Proposal for a simpler remind-on-draft-expiration tool

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:04:29 -0700

Greetings again. On thinking a bit more about the desire to know when 
my drafts expire, I realized that y'all could make a simple tool that 
lets people sign up for such notifications *by email address*. Each 
day when drafts expire, you can compare the email addresses of the 
authors with that of the list of subscribers and then send out 
notices based on a match. This avoids sending out messages to 
everyone, or of making people subscribe to their drafts one-by-one.

As before, extra points for the tool doing this a week before the 
drafts expire.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium
_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 22:55:58 -0400

If it's not going to be automatic for all email addresses of all 
expiring drafts, I'd prefer having a pre-selected option on the I-D 
submission form to indicate that I want to be notified.

And +100 on the "do it a week before the I-D expires" notion.

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 08:28:19 +0100

For those WG chairs that live in RSS-land, something akin to

	http://tools.ietf.org/wg/rohc/new-ids.rss

would also be helpful in order to know about WG drafts are about to  
expire (or have expired!).

In order to hack tools like these, it would be nice if there was an  
exposed XML interface to the internet_drafts table (preferably in a  
form compatible with active-resource, but any XML would do).

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:15:16 -0400

> everyone, or of making people subscribe to their drafts one-by-one.

FWIW, the tracker already emails the AD when drafts in state "AD is  
watching" expire. But it only emails the AD, and I don't know how much  
surgery would be required to have it always email/CC [email-masked] 
, even when draft-foo isn't in "AD is watching".

Lars

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:37:16 -0400

gee. emailing the document shepherd seems like it might be  
worthwhile, if not the authors.

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 08:42:46 -0700

At 11:15 AM -0400 3/16/08, Lars Eggert wrote:
>watching" expire. But it only emails the AD, and I don't know how 
>much surgery would be required to have it always email/CC 
>[email-masked], even when draft-foo isn't in "AD is 
>watching".

Right, this seems to be like a different tool that has similar roots 
as the one you talk about.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:41:52 +0200

> form compatible with active-resource, but any XML would do).

During the Saturday code sprint, I worked on an XML version of
all_id.txt/1id-index.txt; so something along these lines may be
coming. I hope to post something more about this in a couple
of weeks...

Best regards,
Pasi

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:39:41 -0400

I've done a lot towards this at the last two code sprints, both  
allowing interactive searches for when things expire
and building something that will send email to appropriate parties  
when something's about to expire. Hopefully
it will be ready to deploy soon.

RjS

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:08:53 -0700

> coming. I hope to post something more about this in a couple

http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml3/

more details at http://xml.resource.org/

/mtr

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:24:30 +0100

> http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml3/

While this is quite nice, it does not contain all of the interesting  
data from the id-tracker, such as the expiration date (which would be  
needed for reliable reminder service).

Pasi: Would that have been in your XML version?

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:31:12 +0100

> Pasi: Would that have been in your XML version?

Agreed.

It's nice to have reverse-engineered XML when there's only plain text 
information.

It would be much better if the information is published in XML in the 
first place, though.

We got an XML version of the RFC Editor queue a few years ago; why can't 
we have it for the data tracker as well?

BR, Julian

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:36:41 -0700

> we have it for the data tracker as well?

although it would be nicer if the data tracker stuff was a superset of  
2629 to make it easier to use...

/mtr

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:00:22 +0300

> more details at http://xml.resource.org/

I'm aware of these files, but they contain just bibliographic data,
not any of the process information (such as tracker state, intended
status, working group name, responsible AD, "replaced by" information)
that I'd need for my tools.

Carsten Bormann wrote:
> data from the id-tracker, such as the expiration date (which would
> be needed for reliable reminder service).
> 

The expiration date is a bit tricky to get right, because the 
database contains the expiration date only for drafts that have 
already expired. The actual expiration is handled by a cron job,
and to predict the expiration date, you need to duplicate the
logic used there.

Best regards,
Pasi