Subject: [Tools-discuss] Request about the [email-masked] mail lists

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 09:29:51 -0700

I've been having problems where an author of a draft. say [email-masked],  
is not reading emails sent to draft-xxx email address. The issues  
seems to be that they are filtering in a way that expects [email-masked]  
to be in the To or CC header. They point out that they did not know  
that needed to set up filters for every draft they write and don't  
want to do that.

I was wondering if we could do something like instead of setting the  
To line to draft-xxx, if we could set it to the list of authors and  
perhaps set the List-ID header to draft-xxx. I don't claim to have any  
idea of what email headers should be used in any given situation so I  
have no idea if this would make matters better or worse. But I think  
you see the problem I am getting at and perhaps someone knows if there  
is good way of resolving this.

Thanks, Cullen

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:19:43 +0100

Hi Cullen,

> that needed to set up filters for every draft they write and don't  

Mmm.

> is good way of resolving this.

Yup, I see the problem.  I'm not sure how to address it best, though.

Currently the draft-xxx email addresses are simple aliases, which are
handled easily and efficiently by exim.  Something to solve this seems
to require a more advanced and custom setup, filtering these emails
through formail or something like that to replace the To: draft-xxxx
address with the individual resolved addresses.  I'll have a look at
it, but don't know straight off how to convince exim to do that.

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 21:59:53 +0100

> Hi Cullen,
...
> it, but don't know straight off how to convince exim to do that.

I've done a bit of testing with exim's rewrite mechanism, which should
be able to change the To: address into something else.  Unfortunately,
the something else turns out to be limited to *one* address -- for multiple
addresses, the alias mechanism is what's recommended, also when googling
for solutions to this.

I'm sure that someone with better exim-foo than I would know how to fix
this, but I (again ,:) don't know how to convince exim to do it.

	Henrik

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:00:22 +0200

> that needed to set up filters for every draft they write and don't

They'd just need to not filter when From contains "@tools.ietf.org".

Lars

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 13:17:09 +0100

> They'd just need to not filter when From contains "@tools.ietf.org".

*slaps forehead*  Of course.  That makes me feel easier about not being
able to find a way to replace the To: with the final recipients.

	Henrik

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:24:32 -0700

hmm - I suspect the problem is that they are filtering stuff they want  
to read to a folder "to Read" instead of filtering stuff they don't  
want to read out of their default folder.

My initial response was more or less "if you are writing too many  
drafts to set up a filter per draft, well you are probably writing too  
many drafts :-)". I think there is some truth in this so I don't  
consider this a big deal but seems like if we can eventually figure  
out a good solutions, would be nice to do.

Cullen

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:32:48 +0200

FWIW, I have found out that as an IETF participant in various roles I
have to enter things like [email-masked],
[email-masked], [email-masked] etc into my filters.

That being said, the draft-zz aliases affect the largest number of
people, so if it was easy to make them work nicely for everyone, even
those not having entered them into their filters...

Jari

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 12:54:24 -0700

> [email-masked], [email-masked] etc into my filters.

There is an advantage to that, of course -- when you receieve an email
you have context about why you received it:  because you are a WG chair,
because you are an AD, or because you are a document author.

I, at least, find that valuable.

-d

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:07:18 +1300

> those not having entered them into their filters...

Yes. There are people who filter anything that appears to be
bcc'ed, too. Expanding the alias would be best, if there's
a magic tool to do that.

    Brian

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:09:48 +1300

> able to find a way to replace the To: with the final recipients.

But, the whole population of potential authors needs to know this.
That would need to be in the instructions somewhere.

    Brian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:28:23 +0100

> bcc'ed, too. Expanding the alias would be best, if there's

I'll keep looking for this, but don't have any brilliant ideas right
now -- everything I've tried with Exim so far has come up short.  Maybe
one day I'll switch to postfix where it seems there's a standard
solution for this.

	Henrik