Subject: [Tools-discuss] weird xml2rfc error

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:53:07 -0400

I'm trying to compile some age old XML source on xml2rfc. I get this:

    can't read "validity": no such variable on line XXX

And XXX is larger than the number of lines in the file. Any ideas what I
should try to do? There is no XML code in the file that has the string
"validity" in it, though there are some text pieces with it... there are
no other errors before this, except a warning about the use of full2026.

Jari

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:01:24 +0100

> no other errors before this, except a warning about the use of full2026.

So what exactly does that warning say?

BR, Julian

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:05:42 -0400

Julian,

> So what exactly does that warning say?

xml2rfc: warning: ipr="full2026" attribute value is outdated compared to
RFC 3978 around input line 4

Not sure it matters.

Jari

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:24:31 +0100

> RFC 3978 around input line 4

OK,

sounds like a bug in xml2rfc, which doesn't expect the outdated IPR 
value to be used.

You can probably get rid of it by using "full3978".

BR, Julian

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:28:42 -0400

Julian,

> You can probably get rid of it by using "full3978".
Wow, I'm surprised. It was indeed this. I moved to full3978 and the
error disappeared, too.

Thanks!

Jari

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:39:31 -0500

>    can't read "validity": no such variable on line XXX

what is the value of "XXX" ?

what version of xml2rfc are you running?

/mtr

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 07:18:03 -0400

> what is the value of "XXX" ?

it was 1 + number of lines in the source file.

> what version of xml2rfc are you running?

1.32.

I have sent you XML source in a separate mail.

Jari

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:47:32 -0500

> I have sent you XML source in a separate mail.

hi. the bug was fixed in v1.33 -- http://xml.resource.org/

/mtr

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:13:37 -0400

Thanks. I am in the process of installing the new version.

Jari

---

From: "Bill Fenner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 07:57:22 -0400

>     can't read "validity": no such variable on line XXX

This was a bug in 1.32, when it went to go output some of the
boilerplate but you weren't using 3978 ipr.  I think it's fixed in
1.33, can you check?

Thanks,
  Bill

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:15:27 +0200

Marshall, Bill,

Yes, it has been fixed -- I just installed 1.33 and it no longer has
this problem. Thanks.

Jari