Subject: [Tools-discuss] Tools for displaying I-Ds and RFCs on ebook readers

From: "Howard Green" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:38:00 -0600

Does anyone know of tools which can format RFCs and I-Ds to be easily
readable on ebook readers? I am specifically looking for something that
worlks for the sony e-reader. This displays text, but the screen is not
as wide as the rfc, and so lines get wrapped and the documents are a
real mess. PDFs are no better. The native formats for the platform are
sony's .lrf, and .epub. There are tools (calibre, for example) which
convert html, pdf etc to these formats, but nothing works well with the
specifics of rfcs. In the end, something xml-based seems most sensible.
Any ideas gratefully received
Howard Green
_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:51:27 +0100

> Any ideas gratefully received

Out of curiosity: which kind of HTML did you try? As provided by 
tools.ietf.org/html, as produced by xml2rfc.tcl, produces by 
rfc2629.xslt (example: <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html>)?

BR, Julian

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 08:09:42 -0800

Julian Reschke wrote:
>> real mess. PDFs are no better.

Have you tried (on a Windows box):

	open in Wordpad
	print to pdf
	use calibre to convert pdf too .lrf/.epub

Joe

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:27:46 +0100

> Any ideas gratefully received

I just did some googling, and it appears that an XHTML document *can* be 
an epub document (didn't have the energy to look at the details). So you 
may want to test the XHTML variant that rfc2629.xslt can produce, for 
instance <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.xhtml>.

BR, Julian