Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] flaky wiki?

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 11:53:41 +0100

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> He said that he would edit the page and then the text that he added did
> not show up in the editing interface after he saved his changes. I ran
> into a similar problem on the same wiki, but for me the changes didn't
> show up on the rendered page. If I force-reloaded the page, it was fine.
> Quite possibly a caching issue in a particular browser (I'm using FF
> 3.5.7 on OS X 10.5.8, not sure about Jean-Marc). I'd be happy to test
> further.

I'd experienced the same flakiness for some time. When decided to debug
the issue a little bit, I began by switching to HTTPS to bypass the
badly broken HTTP proxy I'm usually behind. And everything worked like a
charm.

In other words, quick fix: switch to HTTPS. Debug hint: look in the
middle, for stuff like ISA Servers(TM) or maybe a misconfigured mod_cache.

BTW: In my environment (FF 3.5.8 on Debian sid) the issue is almost
deterministically reproducible by signing in and out repeatedly on the
same page. After a few cycles for warming the evil cache up, the
displaying of the edit/attach/... buttons is completely out-of-synch
with my actual login status.

-- 
Ciao,
Enrico