Subject: [Tools-discuss] email aliases

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:19:48 -0400

Hi,

any chance we can migrate the [email-masked] to
[email-masked], so I don't have to keep trying to remember which
aliases fall within which domain? 

I getting old, and my memory ain't what it is used to be. I'm getting
tired of bounced messages because we have two different domains to do
alias resolution.

David Harrington
Director, IETF Transport Area
[email-masked] (preferred for ietf)
[email-masked]
+1 603 828 1401 (cell)

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:57:48 +0200

Hi David,

> tired of bounced messages because we have two different domains to do

I don't mind in the least, quite the other way around.  But somebody
has to do the work, I've got a backlog which is ploughing me under and
I'm trying to prioritise as best I can...

Because things are continually changing, the alias lists have to be
re-generated frequently (currently it's done hourly) and the main IETF
mail server doesn't have the infrastructure (files, directories, etc.)
which the current scripts expect.  This means that new scripts need to
be written to generate the alias lists from the database, rather than
from the flat text files which are used on the tools servers.

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 13:15:15 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:tools-discuss-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Henrik Levkowetz
> Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:58 AM
> To: David Harrington
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] email aliases
> 
> Hi David,
> 

Could the main ietf.org servers simply route messages to draft-*
and *-wg (etc.) to tools.ietf.org?  They appear to be running postfix 
and a virtual alias map should do the trick, something like this,

  /^draft-(.*)@ietf.org$/   [email-masked]
  /^(.*)[email-masked]$/  [email-masked]

and so on.  The tools server would get the messages and deliver them
or bounce them, as necessary.  Only drawback seems to be NDN blow-
back because ietf.org won't reject the messages for invalid 
destinations (it will accept the message, attempt to deliver to
tools, which will reject it, and ietf.org's mailservers will have
to generate an NDN message).

-d

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:02:17 +0200

Hi Dan,

Adding Cc: to Glen to this thread, for possible action.

On 2010-09-18 22:15 Dan Wing said:
...
> and *-wg (etc.) to tools.ietf.org?

Yes, this is possible, and it's actually already being done for the *-chairs@
aliases.  But this has its own problems, which has become apparent for the
chairs aliases on several occasions.  But if people think it's better than
the current situation, I think it could be done.

> They appear to be running postfix 

Yes.  The setup is also a bit more complicated because we want to have
also the forwarded aliases protected by postconfirm.  I believe we've
set this up for the *-chairs@ aliases, so there isn't anything new to
to figure out for this, it's just that the setup is slightly more involved
than just the alias maps you propose.

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: Glen Barney <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:39:54 -0700

I'm good with whatever!  Of course, I look to Henrik to steer this
effort, but he knows he will have whatever support and work from me that
he desires!

Glen

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:43:02 -0700

> From: Henrik Levkowetz [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 2:02 AM
> To: Dan Wing
> Cc: 'David Harrington'; [email-masked]; Glen

That sounds like a win.

-d