Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] mail archive changes

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2018 19:51:29 -0400

Ryan Cross <[email-masked]> writes:
> This mode is for those who prefer the MHonArc interface for browsing a
> list.  You can enable / disable Static Mode via the settings menu at
> the top right.

I went and looked, and the fonts that mail archive uses are a lot better
than they used to be, but for the life of me, I can't find "the settings
menu at the top right".  Even when I run the window out to full width, I
only see "Help" and "Sign in".

Dale

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2018 20:56:21 -0500

Dale -

You won't see Settings until you log in. The credentials are the same as 
for the datatracker.

RjS

On 9/3/18 6:51 PM, Dale R. Worley wrote:
> ___________________________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
>
> Please report datatracker.ietf.org and mailarchive.ietf.org
> bugs at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
> or send email to [email-masked]
>
> Please report tools.ietf.org bugs at
> http://tools.ietf.org/tools/issues
> or send email to [email-masked]

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 09:26:18 -0500

The ability to change that setting without logging in has been restored.

RjS

On 9/3/18 8:56 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
> Dale -
>
> You won't see Settings until you log in. The credentials are the same 
> as for the datatracker.
>
> RjS
>
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2018 22:15:08 -0400

> The ability to change that setting without logging in has been restored.

Ah, thanks!

I find this interface is a lot easier to use.

Still, the date index page is organized strangely -- it seems to want to
segment the messages by months.  E.g., looking at Salud, there's a page
for Aug 2018 (one message), then one for all of 2016 (one message), 2015
(one message), then 2014 (several dozen messages).  I seem to remember
MhonArc (sp?) would always give you a couple of hundred messages per
page, so the first date page would contain pretty much every e-mail one
remembered.

The thread index seems to be segmented by month, or something.  E.g.,
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/static/salud/thread/2018-08/
How well does it handle threads split across month boundaries?

If I start at
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/salud/0XrO2yb0mshHhtx-8x640hI3Ik4
and click on "Date" at the bottom, I don't land on that message in the
date index.
If I click on "Thread" at the bottom, I wind up in the date index.
(What?)

The URLs for individual messages are still just hashes of some sort.
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/salud/0XrO2yb0mshHhtx-8x640hI3Ik4
vs.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/salud/current/msg00491.html

Dale

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 10:07:17 -0500

On 9/4/18 9:15 PM, Dale R. Worley wrote:
> segment the messages by months.
By design - creating (or recreating after removing messages) the static 
pages that make those up is expensive. This also allows hacking the URI.
>    E.g., looking at Salud, there's a page
Try it.
> If I click on "Thread" at the bottom, I wind up in the date index.
I've passed that on.
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/salud/current/msg00491.html
Yes, it is a hash. The goal is URL stability, even if messages are 
moved/removed.
This seems to bother you. Why?
RjS