Subject: [Tools-discuss] Fwd: ietf.org not being served by Cloudflare

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 08:58:40 -0800

I emailed some people individually, but I understand that this may be the
right place for it.

---

Hi folks,

I just noticed that whereas www.ietf.org is served off of Cloudflare,
ietf.org seems to be served directly off servers at AMS. In addition,
there is no redirect, so if you go to, for instance https://ietf.org,
you just continue to be served by those servers, which is not ideal
for a number of reasons [0]

It seems like what you want is to:

1. Point the A/AAAA records for ietf.org to Cloudflare (either directly
   or by delegating the NS records)
2. (Potentially) 301 ietf.org -> www.ietf.org

-Ekr

[0] For one, I see wait times of almost two seconds before the first byte.

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 12:55:13 -0500

Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > I emailed some people individually, but I understand that this may be
    > the right place for it.

    > ietf.org seems to be served directly off servers at AMS. In addition,

Also, ietf.org/rfcdiff is there (on the AMS servers).

Among things that I think could use some of it's own (isolated) compute power is rfcdiff.
Put it into rfcdiff.ietf.org/rfcdiff for now or something like that.

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        |    IoT architect   [
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

---

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 10:42:18 -0800

On 2/2/2021 08:58, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> I just noticed that whereas www.ietf.org <http://www.ietf.org> is served 
> off of Cloudflare,
> ietf.org <http://ietf.org> seems to be served directly off servers at 
> AMS. In addition,
> there is no redirect, so if you go to, for instance https://ietf.org 
> <https://ietf.org>,
> 1. Point the A/AAAA records for ietf.org <http://ietf.org> to Cloudflare 
> (either directly
> 2. (Potentially) 301 ietf.org <http://ietf.org> -> www.ietf.org 
> <http://www.ietf.org>

Hi Eric -

My apologies, we did get your email, but of course things take time to 
discuss and sort out.  I'm sorry nobody sent you a reply, we all 
probably assumed someone else would.  I know that this is being worked 
on, so please give it some time, and Robert or I will update when there 
is news.

Glen

---

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 10:44:28 -0800

> Put it into rfcdiff.ietf.org/rfcdiff for now or something like that.

Michael -

Acknowledging this.  What you suggest is absolutely on the radar of the 
Tools Implementation Team, and my own "AMS" radar, and is planned for 
the hopefully near future.  We're not there yet, so please be patient, 
but I wanted you to know that this is something being planned for.

Glen

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 12:52:36 -0600

I also apologize for not sending an immediate ack to your original 
direct message.

I agree that there are changes needed here. There are some 
slightly-nontrivial things to straighten out in order to make those 
changes, and I was (am) in the middle of working out how to straighten 
those things. My expectation is that we will implement the changes 
needed here in a few days (modulo priority interruptions).

RjS

On 2/2/21 12:42 PM, Glen wrote:
>> I just noticed that whereas www.ietf.org <http://www.ietf.org> is 
>> served off of Cloudflare,
>> 1. Point the A/AAAA records for ietf.org <http://ietf.org> to 
>> Cloudflare (either directly
> on, so please give it some time, and Robert or I will update when 
> there is news.
>
> Glen
>
> ___________________________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
> This list is for discussion, not for action requests or bug reports.
> * Report datatracker and mailarchive bugs to: 
> [email-masked]
> * Report tools.ietf.org bugs to: [email-masked]
> * Report all other bugs or issues to: [email-masked]
> List info (including how to Unsubscribe): 
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 17:20:47 -0600

Hi ekr -

Things went a bit more quickly than I expected with this. I think the 
current configuration addresses your concern.

We are redirecting ietf.org to www.ietf.org now.

We've also made some configuration changes at cloudflare (mostly 
affecting behavior for people editing content in the wagtail portion of 
the website).

If you see something that still needs adjusting, please let us know.

RjS

On 2/2/21 12:52 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
>>> I emailed some people individually, but I understand that this may 
>>> be the right place for it.
>>> ietf.org <http://ietf.org> seems to be served directly off servers 
>>> at AMS. In addition,
>> My apologies, we did get your email, but of course things take time 
>> to discuss and sort out.  I'm sorry nobody sent you a reply, we all 
>> probably assumed someone else would.  I know that this is being 
>> worked on, so please give it some time, and Robert or I will update 
>> when there is news.
>>
>> Glen
>>

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 15:25:07 -0800

Thanks. That seems to be a lot faster.

-Ekr

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 3:21 PM Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:

> * Report datatracker and mailarchive bugs to: [email-masked]