Subject: [Tools-discuss] Clarifying the state of and the transition plan for tools.ietf.org

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 12:16:01 -0600

The services at tools.ietf.org are undergoing a transition.

As most of you know Henrik Levkowetz has retired. He is continuing to 
support
the services that he has provided for decades at tools.ietf.org on a best
effort basis as we transition the essential features to LLC supported
platforms. The plan is to finish the transition before IETF 111 and wind
tools.ietf.org down.

The process of moving these features has been ongoing for several years.
Most have already been moved, but a few important ones remain.

We have recently moved the tools.ietf.org style of presenting htmlized text
documents into the Datatracker. The plan is to redirect those pages from
tools.ietf.org into the Datatracker soon.

We will be replacing the online xml2rfc and bibxml services with modern
rewrites of the existing services.

We are transitioning the svn/trac source repositories for the Datatracker
and xml2rfc to the IETF Secretariat, with a longer term goal of moving them
to GitHub.

At the beginning of this meeting, we identified that the ability to add to
individual sessions (as opposed to all sessions of a group) to a 
subscribable
calendar needs to be added to the Datatracker.

We will look again to identify any other features that need to be moved. 
But as
you notice features at tools.ietf.org that are important but can't find 
at the
Datatracker, please send a note either to me or to [email-masked].

Henrik and I communicate frequently, and he is supporting us with this
transition on a best effort basis, but tools.ietf.org is not getting as 
much of
his time as we have become accustomed to in the past. Please be patient 
with us
during the next few months.

As you identify issues with tools.ietf.org, please email Henrik or let 
me know,
and I will bring them to Henrik's attention.  In general, neither the IETF
Secretariat nor the tools team can address issues at tools.ietf.org 
directly.
Our focus will be on moving functionality to platforms like the Datatracker.

I would like to express my gratitude for all of the support Henrik has 
provided
to the community over the last couple of decades. Early on, long before we
started projects like the Datatracker, he set up several tools on his 
own that
became very popular with the community. During this time, the domain 
tools.ietf.org
was delegated to him, and he used it to gather the volunteer created 
tooling from
many contributors.

As the community grew, we began hosting more services at the IETF 
Secretariat.
During Russ Housley's tenure as IETF Chair, the tools team, under the IOAC's
direction, began moving essential services to IETF Secretariat-supported
platforms. Through donated and contracted time, Henrik has been helping make
these transitions as an ongoing process. But tools.ietf.org continued to 
be a
set of services that he maintained and improved primarily by himself or 
through
coordinating other volunteer effort.

Of course, Henrik was also a principal architect and contributor for the
Datatracker and xml2rfc, and we are richer for all of his hard work over
decades on so many tools.

--

Robert Sparks

Tools Team chair

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 19:37:16 +0100

Nicely put.

> On 9 Mar 2021, at 19:16, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> As most of you know Henrik Levkowetz has retired. He is continuing to support
> individual sessions (as opposed to all sessions of a group) to a subscribable
> We will look again to identify any other features that need to be moved. But as
> you notice features at tools.ietf.org that are important but can't find at the
> transition on a best effort basis, but tools.ietf.org is not getting as much of
> his time as we have become accustomed to in the past. Please be patient with us
> As you identify issues with tools.ietf.org, please email Henrik or let me know,
> Secretariat nor the tools team can address issues at tools.ietf.org directly.
> I would like to express my gratitude for all of the support Henrik has provided
> started projects like the Datatracker, he set up several tools on his own that
> became very popular with the community. During this time, the domain tools.ietf.org
> was delegated to him, and he used it to gather the volunteer created tooling from
> many contributors.
> 
> As the community grew, we began hosting more services at the IETF Secretariat.
> these transitions as an ongoing process. But tools.ietf.org continued to be a
> set of services that he maintained and improved primarily by himself or through

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 09:08:41 -0500

Robert,

Are you also porting the tools at
https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/experimental.html , especially the online
version of KramDown?

Thanks,
Andy

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 08:10:06 -0600

On 3/11/21 8:08 AM, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
> https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/experimental.html 
> <https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/experimental.html> , especially the 
> online version of KramDown?
Yes, the planned replacement online xml2rfc service will have all of 
those conversions available.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy
>
>
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 1:16 PM Robert Sparks <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     The services at tools.ietf.org <http://tools.ietf.org> are
>     undergoing a transition.
>
>     the services that he has provided for decades at tools.ietf.org
>     <http://tools.ietf.org> on a best
>     tools.ietf.org <http://tools.ietf.org> down.
>
>     We have recently moved the tools.ietf.org <http://tools.ietf.org>
>     style of presenting htmlized text
>     tools.ietf.org <http://tools.ietf.org> into the Datatracker soon.
>
>     you notice features at tools.ietf.org <http://tools.ietf.org> that
>     are important but can't find
>     at the
>     Datatracker, please send a note either to me or to
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.
>
>     transition on a best effort basis, but tools.ietf.org
>     <http://tools.ietf.org> is not getting as
>     much of
>     As you identify issues with tools.ietf.org
>     <http://tools.ietf.org>, please email Henrik or let
>     me know,
>     Secretariat nor the tools team can address issues at
>     tools.ietf.org <http://tools.ietf.org>
>     directly.
>     tools.ietf.org <http://tools.ietf.org>
>     these transitions as an ongoing process. But tools.ietf.org
>     <http://tools.ietf.org> continued to
>     be a

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 09:21:02 -0500

Robert,

Thanks. much appreciated!

Cheers,
Andy

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 9:10 AM Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Yes, the planned replacement online xml2rfc service will have all of those
> conversions available.
>
>
> Thanks,
> Andy
>
>