Subject: [Tools-discuss] some more meetecho thoughts

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 10:13:34 -0500

Some thoughts/refinements.  I think we are supposed to post them here, right?

1) when the participants clicks on the _share screen_ button that it should
   immediately ask the participant to select the window to share, but just
   not transmit until the chair gives them the media slot.
   Ideally, showing the participant what they are transmitting.

   This would eliminate many of the delays in switching presenters.
   (Unified slide decks are good, but not always better if the agenda is more
   fluid.)

   But, I think, the more important thing is that it would allow participants
   to sort out the local permissions, browser compatibility, etc. and they
   could do this if they wanted, in the three minutes before the meeting starts.

   It might also be good if multiple slide sharers could be "on deck", with
   the chair switching between them.  {Personally, I'd even like to have
   multiple windows shared and swap between them fast, but that's perhaps too
   esoteric.}

2) it would be really cool if the chairs could see a preview of the share
   before they agree, but that's really not required :-)

3) could chairs give presentation permission to a participant before they
   ask? that seems to occupy 10s of back and forth in some meetings.
   Yes, that's an interaction with (1).

4) of course, doing it the BBB way, projecting PDF from a server, and
   allowing the mouse to hover, even draw, is WAY better, so (1) above is
   really only important if this isn't coming.

5) I'd sure like to put all the video frames under my slides.
   Others might disagree, but that seems to fit my screen real-estate better.
   I want the slides bigger.

----

While we've had training session for chairs, and some for participants, it's
not enough I think.
It would be great if there was a room online, perhaps configured for 5
participants max, where the first person to arrive gets chair permission.
(And maybe the room would reboot every hour or so)
If nothing else, that would let mentoring on the tool occur.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 16:30:02 +0100

>   Yes, that's an interaction with (1).

(+1)

>   really only important if this isn't coming.

(+100)

>   I want the slides bigger.

That’s interesting.  Normally our screens are too wide, so organizing things horizontally is the right thing.  But I need the CODIMD nodes to the right of the meetecho window, so I could indeed use the video streams below the slides.
Maybe make this responsive…

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 16:33:06 +0100

On 2021-03-12, at 16:30, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:
> nodes 

*notes!

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 15:36:48 -0500

Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:
    >> 5) I'd sure like to put all the video frames under my slides.  Others
    >> might disagree, but that seems to fit my screen real-estate better.  I
    >> want the slides bigger.

    > That’s interesting.  Normally our screens are too wide, so organizing
    > things horizontally is the right thing.  But I need the CODIMD nodes to
    > the right of the meetecho window, so I could indeed use the video
    > streams below the slides.  Maybe make this responsive…

Yes, my screen is two monitors' wide, but I only want to use 1/4 of that
width for meetecho.  Because codimd, because jabber window, because telegram, etc.
In general, I have most windows in portrait mode, and my next desk will
accomodate three monitors in portrait mode.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 15:37:28 -0500

Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]> wrote:
    >> > 5) I'd sure like to put all the video frames under my slides.  >
    >> Others might disagree, but that seems to fit my screen real-estate
    >> better.  > I want the slides bigger.
    >>
    >> things horizontally is the right thing.  But I need the CODIMD nodes
    >> to the right of the meetecho window, so I could indeed use the video
    >> streams below the slides.

    > At least in chrome you can go to the slides and right click on them and
    > select "Picture in picture", which will pop them out as separate video

I'll try that next time.

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 10:27:05 +0100

>     Ideally, showing the participant what they are transmitting.

As a side note, it is a good idea that can be tried to give the 
presenter the possibility to share the screen.

In detail there are two things: slide advancement and mouse pointing.

The slide advancement can be done by chairs listening to indications 
from presenter saying 'next slide please'.

But the pointing with the mouse is best done by the presenter.  The 
presenter moves the pointer to the relevant parts of the screen that 
/she talks about.  I find that way of presenting to be useful for listeners.

This pointing with the mouse could be achieved naturally by the 
presenter if it is her who shares the screen (not the Chairs), or it can 
be a new 'pointer sharing' button similar to 'screen sharing'.

>     multiple windows shared and swap between them fast, but that's perhaps too

This mechanism could be tried too.

>     really only important if this isn't coming.

Yes - for the drawing part - a pointer sharing option (mouse sharing).
>     I want the slides bigger.

6) the presenter should see the videos of attendees (like in a real 
room), and the attendees should see the video of the presenter (also, 
like in a real room).  Right now we have mostly the videos of Chairs 
most of the time.  It works well when it is the Chairs who talk, and 
their guidance is probably the most important out of a meeting.  But 
this way of working (see mostly the Chair videos) can some times be 
confusing, and even provoke some problems some times.

7) there should be an option of a compiled version of meetecho so I can 
try it outside the browser.  I suspect there might be some performance 
problems because of running inside some particular browser.  I can never 
know until I try.

Alex

> ___________________________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
> This list is for discussion, not for action requests or bug reports.
> * Report datatracker and mailarchive bugs to: [email-masked]
> * Report tools.ietf.org bugs to: [email-masked]
> * Report all other bugs or issues to: [email-masked]
> List info (including how to Unsubscribe): https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
>