Subject: [Tools-discuss] The Zulip experience

From: Thomas Fossati <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 09:43:22 +0000

Hi tools team,

Prompted by Glen I'm sending my feedback regarding the IM tool I've
used at IETF 110.

My choice was Zulip.  I use it daily at work and have used it at other
conferences.  I have given it a spin for this meeting mainly because
I have it open on my desktop anyway and I didn't want to fire up yet
another IM client.  I sort of like it, though I'm not enthusiastic about
its UX - it's a bit too structured to feel really natural IMO.  But once
you get used to it, it works fine and the threading system has its
merits.  I cannot say if threading (which is, I think, its most visible
feature) was or wasn't useful in the context of the IETF meeting because
there is no 1:1 mapping of that into XMPP AFAIK?

I also shortly ran it side by side with my good old Adium for a while
to have a point of comparison, and Zulip felt much smoother.

Summarising: better than XMPP but nothing revolutionary.

cheers!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.