Subject: [Tools-discuss] Zulip implementation Service Plan

From: Jay Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 11:57:47 +1200

Hi

I’ve put together a Service Plan for our upcoming Zulip implementation based on work by Tim April and had that reviewed and revised by a number of people who were involved in the trial.  Robert is now happy for this to be shared for comment and any further revisions.  Please find the document at

	https://github.com/ietf-tools/zulip-implementation/blob/main/Service-Plan.md

The aim to is sign this off at the next Tools meeting in two weeks time.

cheers
Jay

-- 
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director
[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim April" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 21:43:22 -0400

Hi Jay,

In re-reading the document I have a few comments for further discussion:

1.2: Do we expect all users to understand what OIDC is? Could 
“Datatracker OIDC” be replaced with “Datatracker Single 
Sign-On”?

1.3: I would also suggest adding this to the end of the section. 
“#NOTEWELL will be a default stream for all users.” This can be 
configured through the organizational settings for the instance.

2.1: For the first bullet under the mailing list mirror note, I would 
replace

	“In this configuration they can choose not to subscribe to the list 
mirror.”

With

	“In this configuration they can choose not to subscribe to the list 
mirror in zulip or to mute the stream them to view or search the 
mirrored messages without receiving notifications for them.”

3.1: It may also be worth noting that attachments will also be retained 
for some period of time.

3.1: It may be worth calling out the message edit time restriction, if 
enabled. In the tulip services that I host / operate, we have the edit 
timer set to 10 minutes just to limit the length of time that of the 
change to somewhere near the time the conversation happened.

3.1: As an operator, from time to time I get requests to delete 
messages, either because someone sends something sensitive to the 
service or they misspeak and may feel it is something which could have 
negative impact on others. It may be up to Jay, Lars and Counsel as to 
what policy / process could be used to delete a message, but I would 
suggest thinking a little about that before the switch announcement.

3.2: This section is very vague about under what circumstances DMs may 
be inspected. My instinct is to avoid anything which I do not expect to 
be public on the IETF zulip system with the wording of this section, but 
I feel like that remove some of the usefulness of the system. In the 
corporate space, there is usually a well defined policy which governs 
the ability for operators to access messages under three conditions:

	1) Verified lawful request from an agency with jurisdiction (usually 
verified by counsel)
	2) Explicit policy which defines the conditions under which access may 
be granted to a set of messages (Eg: HR dispute, discovery, harassment 
claims, etc).
	3) Extraordinary conditions under which a quorum of some set of 
participants documents a need to access messages.

Some of these policies also include criteria under which the parties to 
these messages will be informed that the message was retrieved.

4 - Other Integrations: Are additional integrations allowed to be 
deployed by IETF participants? Are there criteria to do so? Who needs to 
be contact/involved/informed to do something like that?

Thanks!

--tim

On 1 Sep 2021, at 19:57, Jay Daley wrote:

> Hi
>
> I’ve put together a Service Plan for our upcoming Zulip 
> implementation based on work by Tim April and had that reviewed and 
> revised by a number of people who were involved in the trial.  Robert 
> is now happy for this to be shared for comment and any further 
> revisions.  Please find the document at
>
> ___________________________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list - [email-masked]
> This list is for discussion, not for action requests or bug reports.
> * Report datatracker and mailarchive bugs to: 
> [email-masked]
> * Report tools.ietf.org bugs to: [email-masked]
> * Report all other bugs or issues to: [email-masked]
> List info (including how to Unsubscribe): 
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss