Subject: [Tools-discuss] Hybrid meeting issues - [Manycouches] IETF 113 (March 2022) venue update

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:17:11 +0100

My fundamental problem with manycouches and the challenges ahead for us is that
tooling/processes for hybrid meetings was explicitly not included into the charter
of shmoo, but IMHO that is exctly the most important thing we could and should
discuss (and which is why i wanted those aspects to also be in shmoo charter):

As long as we have no in-person part in our meetings, i think we're doing quite fine
with how we've set up to operate now. When we do start hybrid, IMHO all bets are
off. Does not matter IMHO if its 113 or 114, but whenever we start we should expect
it to be MORE hybrid than it was hybrid before corona. And i have not even seen
an attempt at agreeing on a priority list of what we need to fix up from pre-corona
times to better support more hybrid for its core aspects.

I did mention in before, that i think WG/RG in-room logistics with microphone line has
been the most irritating with remote participants, as well as no-microphone
call-ins from the in-room participants. I did mention that other organizations
have set ups for 'each-in-room-paticipant-uses-own-microphone'. I think with
our technologies todays this would be easily possible to at least experiment with
through fixups to meetecho, and every in-person participant running her/his own
notebook. - Just as a proposal to discuss.

Cheers
    Toerless