Subject: [Tools-discuss] Downloadable meeting audio not linked on the datatracker.

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 10:23:56 -0500

It looks like the proceedings for IETF 112 only contain links for youtube videos of the meeting sessions. These are nice, but useless for doing actual work, because there's no way to download the transcripts or download the audio to generate transcripts. Is there some place where we store downloadable audio anymore? I know we have done this historically—I can find audio for e.g. IETF 96. 

This seems like something that ought to be in the datatracker, but is not.

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 14:24:14 +0100

Le 04/01/2022 à 16:23, Ted Lemon a écrit :
> It looks like the proceedings for IETF 112 only contain links for 
> youtube videos of the meeting sessions. These are nice, but useless 
> for doing actual work, because there's no way to download the 
> transcripts or download the audio to generate transcripts. Is there 
> some place where we store downloadable audio anymore? I know we have 
> done this historically—I can find audio for e.g. IETF 96.
> 

For info, at some point I was using a plugin into firefox browser called
'Video DownloadHelper'.  This button allows to download videos, and
audios by implication, from youtube and other sites.

It is somehow a gray area in that youtube does not seem to like these
kinds of downloads, and it keeps changing the way its URL work, so the
plugin keeps adapting, so it's not known whether there will be an end to
that.

Alex

> 
> ___________________________________________________________ 
> Tools-discuss mailing list - [email-masked] This list is for 
> discussion, not for action requests or bug reports. * Report 
> datatracker and mailarchive bugs to: [email-masked] * 
> Report tools.ietf.org bugs to: [email-masked] * Report all 
> other bugs or issues to: [email-masked] List info (including 
> how to Unsubscribe): 
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 14:45:45 +0100

One drawback among many advantages of putting IETF videos on youtube is
that they become subject to youtube typical advertisement; these
advertisements come from different advertisers than the IETF sponsors.

For example, if I want to watch the IETF 112 Plenary on youtube then I
must go first through an advertisement generated by youtube.  That
advertisement is fine, in general, but from some perspective of the
detail of cost, it is an error.

Since these sessions were put on youtube I always wondered why is this
tolerated.

Also I wondered how comes nobody asks the IETF presenters for their
approval for their images to be shown publicly on youtube.

But yes, there are other advantages of putting these on youtube.  For
example, hopefully they will live longer than the earlier storage at
University Oregon.

Alex

Le 05/01/2022 à 14:24, Alexandre Petrescu a écrit :
>>  some place where we store downloadable audio anymore? I know we
>> have done this historically—I can find audio for e.g. IETF 96.
>> 
> For info, at some point I was using a plugin into firefox browser
> called 'Video DownloadHelper'.  This button allows to download
> videos, and audios by implication, from youtube and other sites.
> 
> It is somehow a gray area in that youtube does not seem to like
> these kinds of downloads, and it keeps changing the way its URL work,
> so the plugin keeps adapting, so it's not known whether there will be
> an end to that.
> 
> Alex
> 
>> 
>> Tools-discuss mailing list - [email-masked] This list is
>> for discussion, not for action requests or bug reports. * Report 
>>  Report tools.ietf.org bugs to: [email-masked] * Report
>> all other bugs or issues to: [email-masked] List info
>> (including how to Unsubscribe):

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 14:33:15 +0000

If you read the NOTE WELL, which is presented at *every single session* it points to the privacy policy, https://www.ietf.org/privacy-statement/, which addresses this, so you're wrong.

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 16:02:57 +0100

Le 06/01/2022 à 15:33, Salz, Rich a écrit :
> If you read the NOTE WELL, which is presented at *every single 
> session* it points to the privacy policy, 
> https://www.ietf.org/privacy-statement/, which addresses this, so 
> you're wrong.

Right, I was wrong.

I think there is much information in the Note Well and I missed some.
Thanks!

The paragraph in question is this:
> We also collect audio, pictorial and video recording, during and in 
> connection with our events, meetings and conferences. All such 
> information may be made public and used by us in connection with the
>  activities of the IETF/IRTF/IAB.

That text is protection for the IETF organizer even though it does not
help much the IETFer who needs the audio.

An ideal protection would be empowering and would sound like this: 'we
warn you we photograph you if you do not disagree, and you can find that
photo and audio whenever you want, there'.

Alex