Subject: [Txauth] RFCs on protocol design

From: Dick Hardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 13:52:37 -0700

Hello Everyone

As we are working on a new protocol, I thought it would be useful to learn
on what has been done before. I posted to the WG chairs list, and below are
what I think are some useful documents for us to use as guidelines.

/Diick

*RFC 1958*
*Architectural Principles of the Internet*

Abstract

   The Internet and its architecture have grown in evolutionary fashion
   from modest beginnings, rather than from a Grand Plan. While this
   process of evolution is one of the main reasons for the technology's
   success, it nevertheless seems useful to record a snapshot of the
   current principles of the Internet architecture. This is intended for
   general guidance and general interest, and is in no way intended to
   be a formal or invariant reference model.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1958

*RFC 4775*

*Procedures for Protocol Extensions and Variations*

Abstract

   This document discusses procedural issues related to the
   extensibility of IETF protocols, including when it is reasonable to
   extend IETF protocols with little or no review, and when extensions
   or variations need to be reviewed by the IETF community.  Experience
   has shown that extension of protocols without early IETF review can
   carry risk.  The document also recommends that major extensions to or
   variations of IETF protocols only take place through normal IETF
   processes or in coordination with the IETF.

   This document is directed principally at other Standards Development
   Organizations (SDOs) and vendors considering requirements for
   extensions to IETF protocols.  It does not modify formal IETF
   processes.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4775

*RFC5218*

*What Makes for a Successful Protocol?*

Abstract

   The Internet community has specified a large number of protocols to
   date, and these protocols have achieved varying degrees of success.
   Based on case studies, this document attempts to ascertain factors
   that contribute to or hinder a protocol's success.  It is hoped that
   these observations can serve as guidance for future protocol work.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5218

*RFC 6709 *

*Design Considerations for Protocol Extensions*

Abstract

   This document discusses architectural issues related to the
   extensibility of Internet protocols, with a focus on design
   considerations.  It is intended to assist designers of both base
   protocols and extensions.  Case studies are included.  A companion
   document, RFC 4775 (BCP 125), discusses procedures relating to the
   extensibility of IETF protocols.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6709

*RFC 8170*
*Planning for Protocol Adoption and Subsequent Transitions*

Abstract

   Over the many years since the introduction of the Internet Protocol,
   we have seen a number of transitions throughout the protocol stack,
   such as deploying a new protocol, or updating or replacing an
   existing protocol.  Many protocols and technologies were not designed
   to enable smooth transition to alternatives or to easily deploy
   extensions; thus, some transitions, such as the introduction of IPv6,
   have been difficult.  This document attempts to summarize some basic
   principles to enable future transitions, and it also summarizes what
   makes for a good transition plan.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8170