Subject: [Txauth] GNAP core document design team

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 14:30:07 +0300

Hi everyone,
 
Following our discussion yesterday, we are looking for volunteers for a short-term design team. The team’s goal will be to come up with an outline of a document combining the best features of XYZ and XAuth. The timeframe will be short – a few weeks. If you would like to join, please send the chairs a private email by Friday.
 
Based on the expressed interest we will pick a small number of individuals for the team. We apologize in advance that we will not offer everyone a spot on the design team.
 
Thanks,
                Leif and Yaron

---

From: Dick Hardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 09:57:49 -0700

I have some concerns that a goal of a document with the "best features" of
XYZ and XAuth may be a challenge.

As I see it, Justin and I have different perspectives on the "best" way to
do certain features. While it is possible that Justin and I with help from
other members on the design team may align on the "best" way, another
outcome is that the design team will need to get feedback from the full WG
on the different approaches. In this case, the near term goal would be a
mail list discussion of the different approaches, and consensus be
obtained. A document would then be able to be presented by the design team
for WG adoption.

I think the approach taken with the OAuth 2.1 document in the OAuth WG is a
good example of how to get consensus. The OAuth 2.1 document was somewhat
contentious. Before asking for WG adoption, myself and the other authors
led discussions on potentially contentious topics and then got consensus on
each topic and generally agreed wording. The WG call for adoption for the
proposed document has not received any concerns.

/Dick

ᐧ

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 4:30 AM Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Following our discussion yesterday, we are looking for volunteers for a
> short-term design team. The team’s goal will be to come up with an outline
> of a document combining the best features of XYZ and XAuth. The timeframe
> will be short – a few weeks. If you would like to join, please send the
> chairs a private email by Friday.
>
> Based on the expressed interest we will pick a small number of individuals
> for the team. We apologize in advance that we will not offer everyone a
> spot on the design team.
>
> Thanks,
>                 Leif and Yaron
>
>
>
> --
> Txauth mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/txauth
>

---

From: Justin Richer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 18:31:29 +0000

Thanks for starting this off, Yaron. While I expressed hesitation about a design team on the call yesterday, I can appreciate that this is a good way forward. Months of public discussion on the list haven't gotten us to a single starting point yet, and so it's time to try a new approach. I can get behind that, and I'll put in my work to help get us unstuck. 

And it's deeply important to remember that this process is just getting us a starting point, not a finished product. Everything in the design team document will be up for discussion and consensus-driven decisions once adopted. 

- Justin
________________________________________
From: Txauth [[email-masked]] on behalf of Yaron Sheffer [[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 7:30 AM
To: GNAP Mailing List
Subject: [Txauth] GNAP core document design team

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
                Leif and Yaron