Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-urn-net-procedures-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:21:36 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Assignment Procedures for the URI Resolution using DNS
        Author(s)       : M. Mealling, R. Daniel
        Filename        : draft-ietf-urn-net-procedures-03.txt
        Pages           : 9
        Date            : 15-Mar-00

RFCXXXX defines a how DNS is used as a Resolver Discovery System
database that contains URI delegation rules (sometimes called
resolution hints). That document specifies that the first step in
that algorithm is to append 'URI.NET' to the URI scheme and retrieve
the NAPTR record for that domain-name.  I.e., the first step in
resolving 'http://foo.com/' would be to look up a NAPTR record for
the domain 'http.URI.NET'. URN resolution also follows a similar
procedure but uses the 'URN.NET' zone as its root. This document
describes the procedures for inserting a new rule into the 'URI.NET'
and 'URN.NET' zones.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-net-procedures-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-ietf-urn-net-procedures-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-net-procedures-03.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.