Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-urn-naptr-rr-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 10:19:34 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : The Naming Authority Pointer (NAPTR) DNS Resource
                          Record
        Author(s)       : M. Mealling, R. Daniel
        Filename        : draft-ietf-urn-naptr-rr-04.txt
        Pages           : 27
        Date            : 07-Aug-00

This document describes a DNS resource record which specifies a
regular expression based rewrite rule that, when applied to an
existing string, will produce a new domain label or URI. Depending
on the value of the flags field of the resource record, the
resulting domain label or URI may be used in subsequent queries for
NAPTR resource records (to delegate the name lookup) or as the
output of the entire process for which this system is used (a
resolution server for URI resolution, a service URI for ENUM style
e.164 number to URI mapping, etc).
This allows the DNS to be used to lookup services for a wide variety
of resource names (inculding URIs) which are not in domain name
syntax. Reasons for doing this range from URN Resource Discovery
Systems to moving out-of-date services to new domains.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-naptr-rr-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-ietf-urn-naptr-rr-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-naptr-rr-04.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.