Subject: Re: draft-ietf-urn-ddds-00.txt

From: Toby Speight <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 17:38:50 +0100

<delurk/>

Apologies for the late response - am I still in time?

The DDDS spec seems to me to be unclear on the atoms of the regular
expression and its replacement.  Is it composed of octets or of
characters?  What encoding(s) is(are) used?  What's the range?

AFAICS, it could be ASCII, UTF-8, ISO-8859.1, or almost anything.

The availability of the "i" flag suggests that we're talking in
characters; are there issues with locale-specific interpretations of
/i?

Are URIs to be converted to canonical form before matching?  If so, one
or references may be helpful to developers needing to do so.

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:59:21 -0400

> Apologies for the late response - am I still in time?

You're fine. We're all still in Pittsburgh so other things are taking
priority right now....

> AFAICS, it could be ASCII, UTF-8, ISO-8859.1, or almost anything.

Very good point! I _think_ that is something that is defined by the
Application _and_ the Database being used. I.e. in the URI application it's
limited to the URI character set which is US-ASCII. In the case of
ENUM its limited by the digits used in the e.164 number and by the
Database being used which is DNS.

I'll try and work up some language to reflect this and post it latter
this week...

> characters; are there issues with locale-specific interpretations of

Ick! That does sounds rather problematic doesn't it. I could constrain
the 'i' to be used only in the case where the Application Unique String
constrains the atoms to something that 'case' makes sense for but that
sounds like a hack to me.... Opinions?

> or references may be helpful to developers needing to do so.

Yes. I'll add that bit to the URI document. Thanks!

-MM

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions       |          www.lp.org          |  [email-masked]