Subject: URN Namespaces

From: Tamara Weise <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 16:48:18 +0100

Dear Sirs,

I´m a student of information science (Germany, Saarland University).
This time I´m doing my final examination, my dissertation is about
persistent identifiers for online publications. URN is one of the models

I´m analyzing.

I had read RFC 2611  - and now I have some questions about it:

Until this time there is only one registered NID (for IETF).
Beside this the CDNL/ Finnish National Library is willing to register an
NID
for NBNs.

When will begin the official process of assignment for interested
parties?

Are there any proposals or decisions on how much will the NID assignment

cost?

Help me please. I need the information as quick as possible.

Thank you for your attention.

Best regards,
Tamara Weise

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:38:57 -0500

> persistent identifiers for online publications. URN is one of the models

Great! If you can please send us a pointer to your dissertation if
possible....

> NID for NBNs.

That process began with the publication of RFC 2611. In addition
to NBM, others that are in the process are OID, PIN, ISBN, etc.
To see all of the requests and discussion on each you can check
out the archive of this mailing list at
http://lists.netsol.com/archives/urn-ietf.html
The official discussion list archive of NID assignments is at
http://wilma.cs.utk.edu/mail-archive/urn-nid.*

> Are there any proposals or decisions on how much will the NID assignment

Unless something unforseen happens, IMHO they should always be free...

> Help me please. I need the information as quick as possible.

I hope that helps!

-MM

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions       |          www.lp.org          |  [email-masked]