Subject: Lifecycle of URN NID applications

From: Tony Coates <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:49:55 -0500

One thing that is unclear to me is how long it takes from the time a URN NID
application made to IANA (via the creation of a suitable Internet Draft) until
the NID is proclaimed, for example at

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/urn-namespaces

Is it just a matter of waiting for the Internet Draft to become an RFC, or is
there some other process which determines the timing?  Thanks in advance for any
advice,

     Cheers,
          Tony.
========
Anthony B. Coates
Leader of XML Architecture & Design
Chief Technology Office
Reuters Plc, London.
[email-masked]
========

-----------------------------------------------------------------
        Visit our Internet site at http://www.reuters.com

Any views expressed in this message are those of  the  individual
sender,  except  where  the sender specifically states them to be
the views of Reuters Ltd.

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:37:56 -0500

Howdy,

Yes, first, the RFC has to be approved (possibly published) before
the IANA will make the assignment.

Then, it depends on the workload of the IANA at the time of the
request.

Leslie.

--

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Days used to be longer."
   -- ThinkingCat

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------