Subject: Re: [urn] (fwd) I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-02

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 14:50:52 +0100 (MEZ)

[[ speaking as the document editor ]]

I have uploaded a new version of the rfc3187bis (URN:ISBN) draft,
which has undergone general edits according to your review comments
since submission of the -01 version last October.

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 04:41:21 -0800
> Subject: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-02.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories. This draft is a work item of the
Uniform Resource Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.

Title     : Using International Standard Book Numbers as Uniform Resource Names
Author(s) : Maarit Huttunen
                                                                                                        Ju
ha Hakala
                                                                                                        Al
fred Hoenes
Filename  : draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-02.txt
Pages     : 21
Date      : 2012-02-16

Abstract

   The International Standard Book Number, ISBN, is a widely used
   identifier for monographic publications.  Since 2001, the URN
   (Uniform Resource Name) namespace "ISBN" has been reserved for ISBNs.
   The namespace registration was performed in RFC 3187 and applied only
   to the ISBN as specified in the ISO Standard 2108-1992, now known as
   "ISBN-10".  To allow for further growth in use, the successor ISO
   Standard, ISO 2108:2005, has defined an expanded format for the ISBN,
   known as "ISBN-13".  This document defines how both of these ISBN
   standard versions can be supported within the URN framework.
   Moreover, additional syntax related information required by RFC
   2141[bis] has been included.  An updated namespace registration is
   provided.  It describes how both the old and the new ISBN format can
   share the same namespace.

   This document replaces RFC 3187; it also obsoletes and moves to
   Historic status the predecessor thereof, RFC 2288.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-02.txt

----- End of forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

As usual, a HTML-ized version of the draft is accessible at:
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-02
and from there, prior versions and related 'htmldiff's are available.

Summary of changes, as listed in the draft:

> Appendix A.  Draft Change Log
>
> [...]
>
> A.3.  draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-01 to -02
>
>  - addressed review comments by LM and SM;
>  - cleanup of requirements language, but
>  - kept RFC 2119 terms where non-canonical/non-intuitive behavior of
>    resolver systems is specified;
>  - URLs for ISBN user manual (new public version) etc. updated;
>  - numerous editorial updates, fixes, and enhancements.

Please check whether your concerns have been addressed sufficiently.

The authors believe that this draft has no more outstanding issues
beyond the textual updates needed to track the progress of the
rfc2141bis and rfc3406bis drafts.

Kind regards,
  Alfred.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+