Subject: [urn] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-02.txt (fwd)

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 02:16:32 +0100 (MEZ)

URNbis folks,

I just have submitted a new version of the RFC 2141bis draft that
contains quite some changes based on accumulated list discussion
and an editorial pass (please note that the updated RFC 3406bis
-02 draft already referenced herein will be submitted soon):

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 18:05:53 -0700
> Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-02

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Alfred Hoenes and posted
to the IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn
Revision:        02
Title:           Uniform Resource Name (URN) Syntax
Creation date:   2012-03-12
WG ID:           urnbis
Number of pages: 32

Abstract:

   Uniform Resource Names (URNs) are intended to serve as persistent,
   location-independent, resource identifiers.  This document serves as
   the foundation of the 'urn' URI Scheme according to RFC 3986 and sets
   forward the canonical syntax for URNs, which subdivides URNs into
   "namespaces".  A discussion of both existing legacy and new
   namespaces and requirements for URN presentation and transmission are
   presented.  Finally, there is a discussion of URN equivalence and how
   to determine it.  This document supersedes RFC 2141.

   The requirements and procedures for URN Namespace registration
   documents are set forth in BCP 66, for which RFC 3406bis is the
   companion revised specification document replacing RFC 3406.

The IETF Secretariat

----- End of forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

Here is a summary of the changes, as listed in the Appendix D.6
of the I-D:

D.6.  Changes from WG Draft -01 to WG Draft -02

   Added note at the beginning of Section 1.2 highlighting the purpose
   of this section.  The URNbis charter excludes a revision of RFC 1738,
   and hence the changes suggested on the list to alter and update this
   section have been dismissed.

   Added hint to URN Namespace designers in Section 2 that ":" is
   customarily used in URN Namespaces to provide further level(s) of
   hierarchical subdivision of NSSs.

   Reworked text on fragment identification issues and resulting
   specification, mostly based on Juha Hakala's evaluation of the
   consensus evolving from the list discussion.

   Modified ABNF rule for NIDs to better align it with rules for similar
   identifiers used in IETF protocols.  The new rule now prohibits a
   trailing hyphen, but defers further restricting rules on NID syntax
   (based on the kind of NID) to RFC 3406bis.

   More clearly documented and marked (still open / already closed)
   ISSUES.  The related text will be removed in the next draft version,
   whence it should have been transferred into the IETF issue tracking
   system.

   Text of Section 3 revised, based on Juha's suggestion.

   In Section 5, added removal of <query> part (but not <fragment> part)
   to canonicalization steps for the purpose of determining lexical
   equivalence of URNs (Juha's comment).  Also added examples showing
   this.

   Elaborated a bit more on Encoding Consideration in the URI Scheme
   registration template (Juha's comments).

   Numerous editorial corrections and improvements.

Kind regards,
  Alfred.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+