Subject: Re: [urn] Finalizing items from IETF 83

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 13:14:49 -0600

On 6/28/12 4:01 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2012-06-28 11:42, Svensson, Lars wrote:
>> Juha wrote:
>>
>>> But
>>> I hope that RFC2141bis will say at least that fragments are not part of
>>> the NSS but they can be used in those namespaces which specifically
>>> allow that.
>>
>> I'll second that RFC 2141bis says that fragment identifiers are
>> allowed in URNs but that they are not part of the NSS. Further, RFCs
>> for new namespaces must specify if they allow the use of fragment
>> identifiers or not but I guess that is something for RFC 3406bis.
> 
> No.
> 
> Namespace specifications define the namespace-specific part; nothing
> else. Fragment syntax and semantics are defined by RFC 3986.
> 
> A spec *can* point out that the URN does not identify something from
> which a payload + media type can be retrieved, in which fragment
> identifiers are not applicable. But that's different from disallowing them.

Julian, by "spec" here do you mean a specification for a particular
namespace identifier? (And would one result be that each NID spec would
need to specify whether URNs issued within that NID identify entities
from which a payload + media type can be retrieved?)

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 21:20:21 +0200

On 2012-07-03 21:14, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> namespace identifier? ...

Yes

> ...(And would one result be that each NID spec would

I'd prefer those specification to be simply silent on the issue, or 
alternatively that the URN spec contains a clarification the NID 
specifications can simply reference.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 13:26:00 -0600

> specifications can simply reference.

And what do you think that clarification would say? Perhaps something
like "unless a particular URN namespace explicitly specifies otherwise,
applications ought to assume that no payload or media type can be
retrieved from the entity associated with a URN"?

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 21:40:08 +0200

> retrieved from the entity associated with a URN"?

"URNs in general can not be used to retrieve a payload with an 
associated media type, thus URI fragment identifiers can not be used. 
However, they can become resolvable, in which case fragment identifiers 
will behave exactly the same way as for any other URL."

Or something like that...