Subject: [urn] Last Call: <draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-20.txt> (Uniform Resource Names (URNs)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 07:08:51 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Uniform Resource Names, Revised
WG (urnbis) to consider the following document:
- 'Uniform Resource Names (URNs)'
  <draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-20.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-02-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   A Uniform Resource Name (URN) is a Uniform Resource Identifier (URI)
   that is assigned under the "urn" URI scheme and a particular URN
   namespace, with the intent that the URN will be a persistent,
   location-independent resource identifier.  With regard to URN syntax,
   this document defines the canonical syntax for URNs (in a way that is
   consistent with URI syntax), specifies methods for determining URN-
   equivalence, and discusses URI conformance.  With regard to URN
   namespaces, this document specifies a method for defining a URN
   namespace and associating it with a namespace identifier, and
   describes procedures for registering namespace identifiers with the
   Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).  This document obsoletes
   both RFC 2141 and RFC 3406.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.