Subject: [urn] RFC 8141 on Uniform Resource Names (URNs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:12:48 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8141

        Title:      Uniform Resource Names (URNs) 
        Author:     P. Saint-Andre, J. Klensin
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      40
        Characters: 92807
        Obsoletes:  RFC 2141, RFC 3406

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-22.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8141

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8141

A Uniform Resource Name (URN) is a Uniform Resource Identifier (URI)
that is assigned under the "urn" URI scheme and a particular URN
namespace, with the intent that the URN will be a persistent,
location-independent resource identifier.  With regard to URN syntax,
this document defines the canonical syntax for URNs (in a way that is
consistent with URI syntax), specifies methods for determining
URN-equivalence, and discusses URI conformance.  With regard to URN
namespaces, this document specifies a method for defining a URN
namespace and associating it with a namespace identifier, and it
describes procedures for registering namespace identifiers with the
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).  This document obsoletes
both RFCs 2141 and 3406.

This document is a product of the Uniform Resource Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC