Subject: [urn] Request to register a URN (urn:xsg) for virtual reality 3D web use

From: Steve Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 13:03:46 +0100

Dear Sirs,

     If possible, I'd like to register the URN XSG so we can use urn:xsg 
in fastinfoset headers for binary encoded versions of our 3D web 
grammar, XSG.

XSG is similar to W3C Web3D but is an independently developed 
alternative 3D web standard for consideration.

I'd like this registering to avoid possible namespace collisions in 
future if someone else tries to register the URN for the same or some 
other purpose.

Thank you for your consideration of this request. XSG stands for 
eXtendible Scene Graph. It is an XML based grammar, optionally 
fastinfoset binary encoded.

It is used for designing and delivering 3D websites and can be 
considered a 3D/virtual reality equivalent of HTML. Further details on 
request.

Our browser is Windows only for now but XSG and our core technology is 
platform independent.

XSG examples can be seen running by installing our 3D web browser, 
linked below. Infinity caches files it accesses to 
[ProgramData]/Infinity/cache from where you can inspect them. Binary 
encoded xsg files can be converted into text equivalents by using the 
editxsg tool we provide. From Windows explorer, 'open with' editxsg 
provides text conversion for easy editing. The file is then converted 
back to binary when you're done.

Please forwards as required - not quite sure where this should go as I 
don't yet fully understand the URN registration procedure.

Best regards,
Steve Williams
Managing Director
Advance Software Limited

Mobile: +44 (0)745 9344854
Skype: steve--w

<><> Infinity is here...

Get your free 3D web browser today : http://advance-software.com/products

How does your organisation plan to exploit the virtual reality opportunity ?

Visit our 3D web portal : http://infinity-online.net

https://www.facebook.com/advance.sw

Twitter : @AdvanceSoftware

https://www.linkedin.com/in/advsw

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 18:52:09 -0600

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your inquiry. The process of registering a URN namespace
is defined in Section 6 of RFC 8141:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8141#section-6

See also Appendix A:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8141#appendix-A

A list of registered namespaces is maintained by IANA:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-namespaces/urn-namespaces.xhtml

In particular, the ISBN and ISSN namespace registrations were recently
updated to conform to the RFC 8141 template and thus they provide good
examples for you to consult as you work on a registration for XSG:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-formal/isbn

https://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-formal/issn

Let us know if you have further questions as you work on your
registration request.

Best Regards,

Peter

On 8/22/17 6:03 AM, Steve Williams wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> urn mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/urn

---

From: Steve Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 19:25:47 +0100

Hi Peter,

     Thanks for your prompt and clear reply. Will work through this shortly.

Much appreciated.

Best regards,
Steve.

-- 

Best regards,
Steve Williams
Managing Director
Advance Software Limited

<><> Infinity is here...